1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your take on Comedy Central's new show "Sportsdome"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newspaperman, Jan 12, 2011.

1. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

I'm interested in knowing you guys' take on the new Comedy Central show "Sportsdome," which premiered tonight. For those who didn't watch it, it's basically a comedy version of ESPN.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I watched a little and thought it was horrible. A couple of funny moments, but not enough for a full show. And I love the Onion's stuff usually.

3. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

JRoyal, I agree. If it was just a couple clips it would work. But to do a show week in and week out with that formula just won't work. I'd be shocked to see it last an entire season.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm excited to check it out...haven't seen it yet, but I was wondering if the above points may kill it early. The Onion is a blast though!!!

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I don't watch Comedy Central. This show won't convince me to do otherwise.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is painfully awful.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Amen. Watched the first segment and deleted it off the DVR. It's like they tried too hard to be funny. Epic fail.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've heard nothing but bad things. Glad I forgot to DVR it.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought the Miami Heat thing was funny, but the show ran out of steam quickly. I also quit watching it about 10 minutes in.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought it had its moments. The soccer highlights were funny and the NFL brain-damaged escapees stuff had some bite. I can see it getting better.

Maybe it was me, but it seemed to have a high number of commercial breaks for a half-hour. Heck, maybe that's an homage to SportsCenter too.

11. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I thought it was terrible. The actors who played the sports anchors had their roles down pat but there's just not enough to pull off a whole show. It had a few funny moments but I think it will be cancelled soon. It's certainly no Daily Show or Colbert Report. As I was watching it, I figured there would be a lot of backlash with segments like "Who Would you Kill?" In light of what recently happened in Arizona, it was terrible timing. Granted, it was filmed well before what happend in Arizona, but I can see why some people would take offense. Even without that, it was still terrible.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

When did Bleacher Report get a TV show?

Draft saved Draft deleted