1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your state's sporting event of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jan 14, 2017.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Civil War FB game. Oldest rivalry on the West Coast.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Kentucky Derby
    Kentucky-Louisville men's basketball

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

High school basketball would have been at or near the top of the list before they broke it up into classes, as opposed to one tournament for all teams. Because more kids need trophies. Awful decision.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That jousting lobby is quite the group.

Not the SECessionist Conference title game?
    If you're right, those pickings are far slimmer than slim.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The biggest event in Kansas might technically occur in downtown Kansas City, Mo., in most years: the Big 12 Conference basketball tournament.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I grew up in New Jersey, but hell if I can tell you what its biggest event is.
    Maybe one of the Giants' NFC East home games?
    There's not a single "special" major pro sports event that happens every year, and if there is New York or Philly usually gets credit for it. Rutgers and Seton Hall are non-factors. There's some dirt track racing and minor league baseball, but no real big special events that I'm aware of.
    I seem to remember the Trentonian sponsoring a huge softball tournament back in the day that drew a couple hundred teams. Maybe that was it for a spell.
    God, that is sad.

7. Donny in his element

Florida's too big and diverse a place to come to consensus, but for north Florida: the Daytona 500 and Florida-Georgia football weekend are 1a and 1b (The PLAYERS nudges the needle, too, for certain demographics).

Statewide, it's the big football events: Super Bowl every few years, major bowl games, national signing day.

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Also a NJ native--and similarly stumped. Maybe the Giants-Cowboys game?

Thanksgiving Day HS football game used to be big in my hometown--and I assume in many others--but it died off more recently as they became more and more worried about injuries during the playoffs.

Don't they have a few big horse races at the Meadowlands or Monmouth?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Haskell at Monmouth Park is big some years, like when American Pharoah was there, but it varies in quality and interest from year to year.

10. Jake_Taylor

If you can count shared metro areas the answers for Kansas, Virginia and New Jersey probably change.

lcjjdnh and Donny in his element like this.
  11. Donny in his element

You're right. I shoulda framed KCMO as east Johnson County (or its Tijuana), where most of the Big 12's attendees live.

12. Jake_Taylor

Oh, in my mind everything west of Independence is Kansas, but I was originally trying to play by the technical borders. I could see an argument that D.C. events should count for Virginia. Maryland too, but I think the Preakness still wins.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted