1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your state's sporting event of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It certainly is, unless you are completely boxed in by tractor trailers and can't see anything else, which happens a lot.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but 323 miles of scenic at 65 mph -- because the damn state troopers will happily nail you if you go over 70 -- is pretty damn tedious.
    My favorite thing on that trip (going through there to New Jersey) was to shave off the last 20 miles or so and take Highway 7 through Harpers Ferry and over to Frederick, Maryland. That is a really pretty drive as you pass by the Potomac.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In Mississippi, it probably goes:
    1) The Egg Bowl
    2) A Mississippi State vs. Ole Miss SEC baseball series
    3) The state high school football championships

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Wallace is one of my favorite small towns I have visited.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

N.C.: It's Duke/UNC-CHeat, unless the ACC Tournament is in Greensboro or Charlotte. The 600 doesn't register in Raleigh. The Panthers do, but the Hornets don't, just as the Hurricanes don't in Charlotte.
    Virginia: The September race at RIR is the last before the Yournamehere Cup Chase begins. Other than that, it's Virginia and VT, which might be the least entertaining rivalry in the history of intrastate rivalries.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Harvard-Yale football is the biggest sporting event in Ohio?

doctorquant likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Indianapolis 500.

Notre Dame-USC football and Purdue-Indiana basketball are on the short list. Colts plYoff games, as well. Shocking that the high school basketball state finals wouldn't be on the list, but they aren't.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First weekend of deer huntin' ...

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Greater Birmingham has a nice run of events for about 5-6 weeks in the spring that breaks up the college football monoculture. IndyCar race at Barber Motorsports and the the spring Talladega race a week later. The Tradition, a Champions Tour major, in mid-May and then right after that is the SEC baseball tournament in Hoover. Finally at the end of May is the Rickwood Classic, where the Barons go play a throwback game in their original park that opened in 1910. Other than the Cup race though, none of it moves the needle that much in other parts of the state.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The SEC baseball tournament isn't a big deal in most places in Alabama?
    Over here in Mississippi, a lot of people take at least part of the week off and head over for it. Figured it was that way in most of SEC country, or at least the baseball hotbeds. Or does Alabama and Auburn being fairly mediocre most years kill the enthusiasm?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It means something to the locals, but I don't think anybody from Muscle Shoals or Dothan is burning vacation days to hang at the Hoover Met unless they're already really into college baseball. If one or both of the in-state schools becomes a power again, that could change.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Totally blanked on the SEC title game.

Draft saved Draft deleted