1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your stand on gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jan 9, 2007.

?

What's your stand on gay marriage?

1. For it. Marriage is about love, not law.

56.0%
  2. For it. I'd never look someone I know in the eye and say no.

13.2%
  3. For it. But I don't blame those who aren't.

4.4%
  4. For it. But I don't think gay couples should raise kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Torn. Undecided. Or don’t really know or care.

5.5%
  6. Against it. Because of my religious/spiritual values.

12.1%
  7. Against it. Not out of faith - I just don't agree with it.

8.8%
  1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The idea that the government can issue licenses — grant permission — for people to marry is medieval.
    Taxes should be filed individually.
    And people should have contracts drawn up regarding the allocation of joint property in the event of a sundered relationship.
    Take the government out of the whole thing.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I completely support the right of gays to get married. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to enjoy everything that marriage has to offer and not just the legal benefits. There's a huge difference between saying "I'm married to so-so" vs. "I'm a in civil union/domestic partnership with so-so"

To those who oppose it with the argument that its a threat to the institution of marriage, my response is that no fault divorces and annulments are a bigger threat because they can end a marriage without a court hearing.

On the argument that it will start a slippery slope to polygamy, interspecies weddings and whatnot, the response is simple... a gay marriage is still a marriage between two - and only two - consenting adults. As long as marriage is defined as being between two adults, the slippery slope is stopped.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'm for gay marriage. Buck has beaten me to the libertarian argument against government endorsement of any kind of marriage, so I'll just content myself with saying he's absolutely right.

Still, we're kidding ourselves if we pretend that this thread is in any way representative of the country as a whole.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I'm for gay marriage, but I think people have a point when they say it will lead to polygamy (I started a thread on that topic: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34275/)

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm for it. We live in a time were everyone should get equal rights. This isn't the 20's anymore. I think its very possible that 50 years from now(when gay marriage is finally allowed in all states), we're going to look back at this and be ashamed of ourselves.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm calling it, now. End of thread.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

As several folks said earlier, at the very least this board tends young, and that alone is enough to make it more accepting of gay marriage than society at large.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My two thoughts on the subject:

1) There are bigger societal ills facing this nation than whether or not gay men or women decide to marry.

2) If two people are in love with each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, who are we to say "no"?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why should monogamy be sanctioned by the government? Because the Judeo-Christian god says so? Because of a ridiculous concept like romantic love?
    Take the government out of what is an intrinsically personal issue. End of problem.

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm for it.

The most amusing, at least to me, argument against gay marriage is when people say that allowing gay people to marry would ruin the sanctity of marriage. That to me is just absurd. More than half of marriages end in divorce, but straight people are upholding the sanctity of marriage? You could make the case that human beings in general aren't meant to be legally married. If two people love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, that's all that matters

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

For a while, I took three_bags' stance on the issue - I think it's immoral, but it doesn't really bother me. I don't know why, either. I can kind of see what he was trying to say (forgive me for trying to clarify, three_bags, if I get this wrong), as it's like, "I don't agree with people killing other people but it happens."

But now that I read a lot of these arguments about how straight couples can mess up marriages, celebrity weddings, etc. and gay people loving each other for 10-15+ years and not being allowed to marry, well, that doesn't seem to make any sense. Like said before, I thought they could have some kind of union, but not called a marriage because it would ruin the sanctity of marriage. But now I realize that it's not doing marriage itself a service to have people marrying because they had a kid out of wedlock or anything of the sort.

I also agree with the argument about the age determining the stance - being younger, I think I'm way more open to stuff in the world now than anyone say, over the age of 50 might be. But that's why our generation is so important - we can change things the way we want, and while our grandparents may not have agreed with interracial marriages, we'll probably think we were dispicable 60 years from now for not accepting this.

And it's not like reading these posts caused me to see the light, either. Honestly, I didn't care all that much what people were into - if that's their thing, fine with me, because it doesn't concern me. If someone's passionate about the environment, I'm not, but that's their thing. If someone's passionate about art, I'm not, but that's their thing. And if someone's interested in the same sex, I'm not, but that's their thing.

In short, should it be allowed? I don't see why not.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted