1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your stand on gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jan 9, 2007.

?

What's your stand on gay marriage?

1. For it. Marriage is about love, not law.

56.0%
  2. For it. I'd never look someone I know in the eye and say no.

13.2%
  3. For it. But I don't blame those who aren't.

4.4%
  4. For it. But I don't think gay couples should raise kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Torn. Undecided. Or don’t really know or care.

5.5%
  6. Against it. Because of my religious/spiritual values.

12.1%
  7. Against it. Not out of faith - I just don't agree with it.

8.8%
  1. accguy

accguy Member

I don't have any problem with gay marriage. People should be allowed to be happy.

In the grand scheme of things, there are so many things that the government and the right have to worry about that are so much more important than gay marriage.

Until every kid is fed and clothed and educated, I don't know that I want to hear them talk about how important banning gay marriage is.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Thread should end right here...whether you are for or against. Exile's right. There are so many other things worth our time, even in our own homes. That this, and things like it, should be way, way down on the list.

That same logic should be applied to others beliefs. Whether you agree or disagree with what they believe, it just isn't worth getting worked up over.

In the next year, I will send my daughter to college and try to figure out how to pay for it, celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary, and deal with the myriad ups and downs of everyday life. None of that will be affected by the guy next door, regardless of what he believes.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHOTTIE ;D ;D

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Heh. I guess this one is, Dirk. Next one, I'm not so sure. ;)

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Pleasantly surprised to see the poll numbers here.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Marriage, heterosexual o9r homosexual, should not exist as a legal status.
    The government should not be in the business of sanctioning or encouraging monogamy.
    If people want to get together in a monogamous relationship, if they want to formalize it with some kind of ceremony, vows, whatever, that's their business.
    All government involvement — licenses, tax status — should be abolished.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Of xourse the easy joke would be "let 'em get married, why shouldn't they be as miserable as I am"

But it's just a joke.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Three men are congratulating a couple at their 25th anniversary dinner. The husband answers a question, "Hey, if I had it to do again, I'd do the exact same thing."

Shocked, the wife asks, "You'd marry me all over again, honey?"

"Hell, no," he replied. "I'd marry another 20 year-old."

Sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

8. Shottie, I have to disagree with you about the abortion part of one of your previous posts, because some people do believe that decision does affect someone else — the fetus.

As for the gay marriage point, I am in total agreement with Three Bags — I'm against it because of my religious beliefs, but I really don't care what everyone else is doing. It's tough enough to keep my own house in order without worrying about others.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm married close to 20 years, with kids, and the existance of gay marriage would have absolutely no effect or affect upon my marriage. If they want to marry, fine, not my business.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Buck, he's minding his own business and refusing to push his beliefs on others. What's wrong with that? I wish more people who possess a strong faith could be that way.

I feel the same way about abortion. I against it, but I do not think there should be a law against it. It's not my place to tell anybody else what to do, no matter how much I disagree with their decision.

I think about it every time I talk to a good friend of mine about his daughter, who was nearly aborted. The mother was at the clinic, but this was a place where they made pregnant women get "counseling" first and they changed her mind. Even though it was kind of a bad situation, they made it work and this great kid got a shot at life. The first time she called me, "Uncle OOP" is a truly cherished memory of mine.

By the way, I really couldn't care less about gay marriage, though if I was forced to come up with an opinion, I'd say let 'em get married.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

1). Show me somebody who feels that his or her marriage is threatened or devalued by gay marriage and I'll show you a marriage that's in trouble under any circumstances.
    2). I've heard the slippery slope argument, that if we allow this, we'll eventually have to allow polygamy, interspecies marriages, marriages of adults to children, etc., but I think in those cases, there are other issues regarding health and the need for society to protect children from being exploited and put into situations that they're not mature enough to handle and those issues do not exist with gay marriage.
    3). I've also heard that allowing gay marriage infringes on the rights of parents to raise their children in an environment where society is not trying to undermine the values they teach their kids, but does allowing interracial marriage infringe upon the rights of KKK members in that respect? If the values parents are teaching their children is that it's OK to treat people badly or discriminate against them because they're different (and not harming others), then society should be able to undermine that kind of teaching.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I appreciate the relative civility of everything so far. I'll post my thoughts on this issue later, specifically regarding what I think are misconceptions of Christianity.

Draft saved Draft deleted