1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your stand on gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jan 9, 2007.

?

What's your stand on gay marriage?

1. For it. Marriage is about love, not law.

56.0%
  2. For it. I'd never look someone I know in the eye and say no.

13.2%
  3. For it. But I don't blame those who aren't.

4.4%
  4. For it. But I don't think gay couples should raise kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Torn. Undecided. Or don’t really know or care.

5.5%
  6. Against it. Because of my religious/spiritual values.

12.1%
  7. Against it. Not out of faith - I just don't agree with it.

8.8%
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My grandmother was deathly afraid of people different from her ... different races, different lifestyles. I mean, she was SCARED of them.

My parents hid their prejudices better. But if they were in the privacy of their home, it was clear the prejudices were there.

I try to treat people fairly, no matter what. I think I succeed pretty well.

I hope my daughter does better than me.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I don't wish to promote douchebaggery or asshatism in any form, but I feel that understanding the motivations behind the views of others, even if they're whackjobs, is useful in developing one's understanding of the world.

So, here's Dr. James "Pharisee" Dobson on the subject:

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/docstudy/newsletters/A000000334.cfm

Just so you know. :-\

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A much more concise version of what I tried to say with much less success above.

Kudos, shottie. We should all strive for as much.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You think Dobson and his ilk see the irony that they are the same type of folks that Christ battled in his time, yet they claim to be waving the cross?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, they don't. Pathetic.

6. writing irish

Pathetic, indeed. Their view of Jesus is straight out of a Jack Chick comic...and their God has the personality of Woody Hayes. It's very sad.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hmmm...personality and Woody Hayes in the same sentence?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I voted for option one, and I can't see how there is another option. We are all humans, no matter who we prefer in the bedroom.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is going to sound really crazy ...

I voted no/religious beliefs. I don't agree with gay marriage. It is part of my religious beliefs, but it really doesn't bother me. It's not up to me to decide whether two people get married.

Now, on another topic, I see some religious practice/people/problem bashing going on in this thread. Before that, it was pretty clean. I'm not bashing yours or calling your social/spiritual leaders an alcoholic, adulterous deacon. Please, don't do it to mine. Thank you.

10. writing irish

I can't speak for 3bags, obviously, but for myself, just because I find something immoral, that doesn't mean it should be illegal. It's the whole crimes-with-victims/victimless crimes issue.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I completely support gay marriage. I also completely support the rights of religions who have a different view of homosexuality to refuse to perform those marriages in their own churches.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm for it for the love angle and also because I believe gay people should receive the same benefits and rights that heterosexual couples enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted