1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's your stand on gay adoption?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EE94, Jan 10, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had my first crush on a girl when I was 6. It actually lasted all through high school, to a certain degree, and to this day I occasionally think about her.

Now, when I was 6, I wasn't thinking about boffing her, I just knew I "liked" her in a way that was different from how I liked other kids in class.

So it wouldn't surprise me if a gay person knew there was something different about themselves at that age, even if they couldn't articulate what it was.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point, pern. I remember liking certain girls in grade school. I sure didn't want to kiss them or anything. So I just put their pigtails in the inkwell and stuff.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

So it's nice to see the third-graders, Ace and Zeke, have shown up. Childish, man. Just childish. But in your case, normal. Have a nice day.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Weren't we talking about children?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have a nice day yourself, Mr. Kettle.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Cute, reverend. Cute.

8. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Yawn, you had a chance to read through the case study on Brenda/David yet?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A question for all the gay rights folks on this board:

As I read through this thread, one of the themes that seems to be common is that one of the main reasons so many believe that it's just fine and dandy to be gay is because gays are born that way. They don't choose to be that way, they're just genetically pre-disposed to be attracted to members of the same sex. If you're born that way, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Am I reading this correctly?

10. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Well, there's nothing wrong with it anyway because it really isn't my business or your business who someone likes and chooses to sleep with.

Who appointed us the Moral Police? What says our values are the "right" ones? Why is what we believe assumed to be the right way of thinking when there are 6 billion people in the world who can't agree on anything except that we don't agree on anything?

The argument people are making with that point, tony, is that gay people raising children will not "turn the kids gay" because most credible research says sexuality is not formed by one's experience but rather is an inborn trait.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For what it's worth, homosexuality has been around as long as sexuality has. This isn't some modern idea that is now considered "fine and dandy" based on new science or evidence or political correctness or secularism. It was present in ancient times just as it is present today.

Yes, Tony, you're reading it correctly. It IS biological. It IS predisposed. And no, there's "absolutely nothing wrong" with it.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There wouldn't be anything wrong with choosing to be gay, either.

But I do think it is a genetic predisposition that can be stimulated by societal mores -- take a look at the ancient Romans, for instance.

Draft saved Draft deleted