1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's your stand on gay adoption?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EE94, Jan 10, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sure. Anyone who can love an unloved/wanted child is a special person in my book.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Good thing her two dads weren't gay, or this show never would have lasted. Instead, no one knew who impregnated the girl's mother! Much better television.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fish's wife!! Where's Abe Vigoda when I need him?? She had the only raspy voice (Demi Moore, etc.) that I can recall that was not sexy.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All I said is all things being equal, I can understand giving heterosexual parents the advantage when adopting a baby. And if you don't think they try to put children with parents of the same race, you are kidding yourself.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but I just wanted to post my opinion before checking out everyone else's. Like you, EE, I'm conflicted. I'm certainly a liberal and I'm all for gay marriage.

Gay adoption is a bit trickier, but I'm conflicted for a different reason. It has nothing to do with nature's intent for child rearing. After all, there are millions of kids who grow up with only the influence of one gender or the other and turn out fine.

I think the tricky part is what having two gay parents does to the kid socially. Kids are stupid and a child with two gay parents is likely to be a prime target for scorn and ridicule from other kids. How that child handles that scorn and ridicule will shape him or her for the rest of their life.

I'm inclined to believe that a gay lifestyle is losing its taboo among younger generations (to a certain extent) and it wouldn't be that bad, and could perhaps make that child stronger and more comfortable with his or herself later in life (though I do think it would be rough in the fifth to eight-grade range, where I think kids are at their most judgmental).

I suppose in the end, i think it's OK, but I can understand a lot of arguments against it.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Ironic to some I guess, but the worst parent I've ever known was also the most aggressively heterosexual person I've ever known. Go figger.

But anyway, even if the adopted kid turns out gay, so the hell what? Isn't parenting supposed to be, ideally, about unconditional love and support. If I have a kid, I'd want him to grow up educated, confident, motivated and kind. I could care less where he ultimately decides to shove his show. If I have a heterosexual son, you can bet I'll be at all his Little League games. And if I have a gay son, I'll be a regular at all his rugby games. That's the basic idea of good parenthood, adopted or no, gay or no.

The Rugby thing is completely a joke by the way, since it really is actually as unsissified a sport as you'll probably find.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of my best friends in college was raised by two mothers. She was forced to deal with the situation and learned to handle it with maturity and grace at an early age. I'm sure it bothered her when she was younger, but like most kids who get picked on, most of which is due to immaturity in their peers, it's a part of life that you have to figure out for yourself.

Kids can be mean sons of bitches, man. You're going to get picked on for everything, at some point -- what shoes you wear (or if you get them at Wal-Mart ::)), if you wear glasses, if you're not a good athlete (or if you're good at baseball, but not football), if you're too smart (which is still ludicrous to me) ... but it's a part of life. We all go through it, some more than others (I place myself in the latter group.)

I don't think that should play any role in adoption.

8. outofplace

I do love the extremes on this site. If there are two babies, one white and one black. You have two couples who want to adopt, one white and one black. What do you do? Toss a coin so it's random?

9. outofplace

I agree with you to a point, but sometimes as a society we go so far trying to avoid anything politically incorrect that we just ignore common sense.

The following is one of the dictionary definitions of the word discriminate -- to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately.

Buck, I'm usually on your side with this kind of thing, but I think you take your idealism just a bit too far on this one.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Psychological conditioning CAN shape a person's sexuality.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If this were true, more rape victims would be lesbians. But Yawn's never been one to let actual facts get in the way of a hateful belief.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is this from The Simpons or Family Guy or neither? I know I saw an episode of something with this in it lately.

Draft saved Draft deleted