1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's your stand on gay adoption?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EE94, Jan 10, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I support gay adoption for all the reasons stated so far.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, if there were studies showing that children adopted by homosexual couples were more likely to become homosexuals themselves, are you saying that would be a problem?

I have no problem with gay couples adopting, but I completely understand giving heterosexual couples priority. Isn't part of the idea to put these children in homes where they will be most comfortable and most like their parents? By the percentages, the child is a lot more likely to be heterosexual, so ideally it would be better if they were placed with parents who are the same.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No -- I wrote that because I know it's the objectors' biggest concern -- that gay adoptive parents will "turn their kids gay."

But the question is really moot because it's becoming more and more obvious, based on scientific evidence, that homosexuality is something you're born with.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm all for gay adoption because they are picking up the discarded pieces a great deal of time. As a parent of two young kids, my observations are that kids need love more than anything. Yeah its great if there's a mommy to provide a female perspective and a daddy for a male perspective (funny how some mommy's don't know about the last shake before pulling your pants up after peeing), but kids who are up for adoption are for the most part lucky to have the opportunity for any parents.

My cousin and her husband adopted two little girls from China who are now 11 and 13. Did it matter whether they are biological parents? Not from what I've seen in the 13 years. The unconditional love is as pure as anything.

Critics point to the ideal hypothetical, two loving heterosexual parents, but that ideal does not apply 90% of the time, so if their scenario played out, those kids going to gay couples would end up simply in foster care, not two loving heterosexual parents. Deception in the name of principle, sucks for the kids.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ha! ;D I didn't know that. But it's okay - a lot of dads don't know about the importance of wiping "front to back" for girls.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yeah, my wife told me that in the event our kid was going to be a girl.

As for the shake thing -- it's just like pumping gas. Nobody wants the gas to drip on their shoes.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just remember -- if you shake it more than twice, you're playing with yourself.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Succinct and straight to the point of my struggle with the issue.

Gay parents and heterosexual child (and I believe sexuality is a hard-wire thing, meaning you're born gay or straight) ...

... Over the years is it fair to say the heterosexual kid is going to deliberate in his mind about his gay parents and why they're different from his friends' "normal" parents? Will the hard-wired straight kid, over the years, begin to wonder if the gay lifestyle is the "correct" lifestyle, even if he/she follows the hormones and gravitates to the other sex? "I like Stephanie," 16-year-old Johnny thinks to himself one day, "but dad and dad seem so happy together — so maybe I'll be happy by liking boys, too." Had Johnny grown up in a supportive and loving husband-wife home and never given the gay issue a second thought, would he have questioned himself about Stephanie and whether it's acceptable to experiment with guys?

I hope I worded that correctly. It's the years-long influence of the gay-gay adoptive parents on a hard-wired heterosxual that makes me still question whether I believe in it. The parents can be the best parents of all time: loving, supportive, all that stuff. But if a kid is hard-wired to be straight, is it fair to place him/her in a home that will, in time, make him/her subconsciously question his/her sexuality?

Lugs has a point about never seeing a negative study on the issue, but I'd love to know what kind of studies are out there.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Xan, if you're going to make that point, then it's fair to bring up the other half of the equation:

What about all those kids who are hard-wired to be gay ... and stuck in heterosexual homes that subconsciously question their sexuality throughout their lives? This happens all the damn time.

Nobody questions heterosexuality. Nobody says it's wrong to be heterosexual. Nobody says it's a sin to be heterosexual.

The discrimination is one-sided here. So no, I don't think it's fair to say that a heterosexual kid will tend to deliberate in his mind, just because his adoptive parents are gay. Our culture is not tuned in that direction.

10. Songbird

You're right, buckweaver.

11. Songbird

To add, buckweaver, I believe a gay person knows he's gay. The true ones emerge sans fear of anyone or anything. It's too bad closet gays have to stay in the closet because of our society.

Now, a straight person might be just that, straight. But placed in a quote-unquote abnormal environment, does that person start questioning his hard-wiring over the years. That's the heart of the matter.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I said a part of it. You don't think it is better for a child to be with parents who are like them than those who are not?

Sorry, but I do believe that heterosexual parents would be better able to understand a heterosexual child. Obviously, this is with the assumption that you can find loving parents in either case. All things being equal, isn't it better the more the child has in common with the parents?

Draft saved Draft deleted