1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your stance on abortion?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Which of the following best describes your position on abortion?

1. I am pro abortion rights. A woman has a right to privacy and I'll defend that with political activis

17.9%
  2. I am pro abortion rights, but choose not to be politically involved.

10.4%
  3. I am pro abortion rights, but against third trimester abortions.

17.9%
  4. I am pro abortion rights, but I think some women abuse/misuse those rights.

11.9%
  5. I am pro abortion rights, but the father should have a say.

6.0%
  6. I am anti-abortion rights except in extreme or life-threatening cases.

16.4%
  7. I am anti-abortion rights because of my religious beliefs.

7.5%
  8. I am anti-abortion rights for reasons other than religion.

4.5%
  9. I support a culture war against abortion, which includes picketing, distributing literature against

1.5%
  10. I really don't know/care.

1.5%
  11. None of these options are suitable.

4.5%
  1. Buck is saying abortion is not right For Him. Suggesting that one's personal take on something means he either accepts or denies the legitimacy of it for everyone is a very broad statement, with a hole in logic big enough for an aircraft carrier.

That's like suggesting that if someone doesn't believe in premarital sex, that it should be illegal.

((Edit: Fixed my post-quoting snafu.))

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's pretty much the crux of my position. If you have some less epic reason to believe abortion is wrong but still should be legal, that's one thing. But if you think it's murder and still should be legal (and there's plenty out there who feel that way, if polls are any indication), then there's a massive cognitive dissonance issue.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not exactly. For the anti-abortion advocates, they feel that the embryo/fetus should have a protectable right to exist. Abortion, by its very nature, affects that (unless Dr. Nick is the provider). Premarital sex only affects the two parties engaged in it. Abortion affects tat least two parties, and one pretty much goes without a voice.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I did not vote, not just because I found the pro-choice options to be biased, but also because I have some issues with Alma and how he views women, and I've felt that way since he lectured me about not reporting being sexually assaulted a teen.

5. If life begins at conception, then adjust ALL governmental policies accordingly.

That means counting fetuses in censuses, and that pregnant women can count fetuses as dependents for tax purposes from the point of conception/diagnosis.

I suppose all birth dates should be adjusted accordingly as well. Can it really be called birth? Should all ages of individuals be adjusted by nine months? Or eight, if they were premature?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think our disagreement on the Katie Hnida issue was more of an philosophical argument about the nature of justice vs. conviction of compassion rooted in personal experience. I understood your position and respect it more than my own after the fact, if not at the time. In other words, I was wrong.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Omar, Love your user name... But not sure how you took that leap or why you are attributing it to me. Of course he is making a statement about the legitimacy of it for everyone. He thinks anyone who wants an abortion should be able to get one. That is his bottom line. Even if he wouldn't want someone who he is with to have one, he thinks you should be able to if you want to—which is a definitive statement about whether it is OK or not.

"I wouldn't do it, but I am OK with others doing it," is just framing it. It still comes right down to, "I am OK with people having abortions," though.

Everyone's views ultimately come down to, "OK with it" or "not OK with it," even if it is framed the way that Cadet framed it above. Terms and conditions can't work for something like abortion -- just as the Missouri Compromise create a hornet's nest when it came to slavery -- because ultimately you still have a ton of people with intractable "yay" or "nay" beliefs that don't accept nuance when it comes to their morality. That is the thing about moral codes. The absolute ends of the spectrum determine the rules. You can't make the law, "Murder is illegal, unless the guy insulted your mother." People who think murder is absolutely wrong will never accept that.

To the people who think it is wrong under any circumstances, there is little difference between someone is for abortion under any circumstances and someone who wouldn't have one, but thinks others should be allowed to if they want to, but not in the last three months of their pregnancy. Both those people advocate something the person against abortion is opposed to, just as both those people are in fundamental disagreement with the view that abortion should be illegal under all circumstances.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well damn, now I can't feud with you.

As for my personal stance, I want it safe and legal, because women will find a way to get rid of an unwanted pregancy as they have for millenia and it's better to have it done in a safe, clean doctor's office with proper surgical tools than in a back alley with a coat hanger.

That is, however, not an option.

9. Ragu,

I quoted the wrong post. My mistake. Can't believe I missed that.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think fatherhood is, or can be, realigning.

All I know is that the older I get the less pro-choice I become.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read about a case where a 20-year-old who was arrested for underage drinking argued that he was technically 21 because of the 9 months he was a fetus. I forgot how it turned out, but it went up the legal system pretty far.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My return?

Draft saved Draft deleted