1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your stance on abortion?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Which of the following best describes your position on abortion?

1. I am pro abortion rights. A woman has a right to privacy and I'll defend that with political activis

17.9%
  2. I am pro abortion rights, but choose not to be politically involved.

10.4%
  3. I am pro abortion rights, but against third trimester abortions.

17.9%
  4. I am pro abortion rights, but I think some women abuse/misuse those rights.

11.9%
  5. I am pro abortion rights, but the father should have a say.

6.0%
  6. I am anti-abortion rights except in extreme or life-threatening cases.

16.4%
  7. I am anti-abortion rights because of my religious beliefs.

7.5%
  8. I am anti-abortion rights for reasons other than religion.

4.5%
  9. I support a culture war against abortion, which includes picketing, distributing literature against

1.5%
  10. I really don't know/care.

1.5%
  11. None of these options are suitable.

4.5%
  1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If abortion should be legal, then why is it wrong to have one?

2. Opinion vs. law.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

He hasn't been since his return... He's far more biased and one sided in certain arguments, particularly those he now believes strongly in.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Opinions change laws.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

JR,

Within privacy, I am presuming choice, but I'll make that more clear.

I imagine they are not perfect, no - so, yes, flawed - but I wasn't intending "bias" at all. I am aiming for a pretty broad range of ideas and views, but I'm sure I'm missing some of the more sublime positions (or even major ones). I tried to give 10 options. I will redo when I get to a computer that will allow the first page to be displayed (for some reason can't get it on this one) and include an option that says "none of these options are suitable/fair."

Pastor,

Eh, I did this same thing last year. I'm looking for viewpoints, not people to agree with me. Regardless of one's position, most people I know on here take this issue pretty seriously and have considered it, which is all you can ask for.

The result has been some good answers for and against so far.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That might be a decent way to put it. As most of the pro-choicers on here have stated, they are personally repulsed by abortion, but don't believe the law has a right to infringe on a woman's right to choose.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I didn't say it's wrong to have one. I said I wouldn't want the women in my life to have one; I've seen the emotional toll it can take.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Buck, Abortion is either legal or it is against the law. You either feel it should be legal or you feel it should be against the law. It is dualistic. The reasons shaping how people feel about it may be all over the place, even for people who are in agreement about whether it should be illegal or legal, but it really is that simple. You are either OK with women having abortions or you are opposed to it. And whatever your reasons for your beliefs, it ultimately comes down to something you can't "prove" or give validity to with any argument other than something that boils down to, "It's just the way I feel." And those are arguments that usually go nowhere at best or lead to fighting at worst.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Here's why they're flawed: Because I am pro-abortion rights (as worded in the poll), I believe a woman has a right to privacy and I have defended that with political activism, AND I am against third-trimester abortions AND I believe an involved father should have a say AND I think some women abuse those rights.

My opinion isn't so simplistic as to have one answer; I picked the one that I felt most represented my beliefs as Alma chose to outline them.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I better understand your questions reading them again.

I put "activism" at the top and bottom of each scale (both pro and anti abortion rights) to provide the opportunity for those to share their level of committment to the issue. To me it's interesting to separate those who are "against" it with those who are against, and politically/socially active.

It's the second option (pro, but couldn't tell you a lot) that is poorly worded. You're right. Obviously people could know a lot about it yet choose not to get involved.

The extreme cases are found under an anti-abortion option because some people are generally against abortions, but strongly believe certain cases demand that option be on the table.

11. The belief that abortion is murder is an opinion -- you can debate that all day and night but it is. Technically and medically speaking there are different views you can take. That was my point.

You can be against abortion because you think it's the wrong choice AND believe it's not murder.

I would agree, though, that if you believe it's murder it's intellectually dishonest to be for it.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So if the woman had no problem with having an abortion, would that be acceptable with no strings attached? Fair enough; my beef is with people who are, as Beaker said, "personally repulsed" by abortion but still think it should be legal. That's your right as an free-thinking human being to hold that position, but my question is this: what forms the basis of your personal opposition to abortion?

Draft saved Draft deleted