1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your Olympic coverage plan?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Jul 31, 2008.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I believe we're going to have a template-style page of Olympics content every day. Given that we have exactly one local competitor (two, if you want to stretch) and he's not exactly in a glamour event, I don't know how we'll fill the space.

I asked the federation PR guy to have him call after his competition, and I suspect that'll happen since he's already arranged two phone interviews from China. Beyond that, it'll likely be all wire.

I think that's what we did four years ago as well.

I'll be watching a lot of tape-delayed NBC, plus a steady dose of whatever live Webcasts I can find. But I'm a rare Olympics nut.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We have no space issues and can do this however we want -- and I can tell you that our decision is that football, both college and pro, will be much bigger at this place than the Olympics will be.

The Games are huge for NBC and their associated websites. They're still important to us, but they won't be taking over the site, that's for sure. Too many other things our readers/users are more universally interested in.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, since I have an intimate knowledge of the kayaking competition and venue from the Atlanta games, I'm always interested in that, too.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Up here there's not nearly the same interest in football, so we'll give the Olympics pretty good play. Probably a page, maybe two a day. However, we've got two pretty massive sporting events in our city during the Olympics which will take precedence. Might just be a page, with pretty much the same sort of content Huntsie describes.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But that's the way we'll play it. And besides, the tailback has a chance to be one of the more intriguing stories at Microville Tech this fall.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

I doubt that, but your point about stories is a good one.
    Any Olympic Games is full of them, be they from Microville or some other part of the world that the residents of Microville spend their lives trying not to pay attention to
    They make for interesting reading, but shit, why give that to your readers when you can document every drop of sweat off tailback's nose
    I bet he even passed basketweaving last semester

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

We're lucky in that, as a PM with a 9:15 last page deadline, we'll be able to beat our local NBC affiliate to many of the results. HS football in our area is down to six teams, so, when we're not putting together fall sports previews (you've not lived until you've written a Class D girls' volleyball season preview), we ought to have some space for stuff, provided the publisher's current war on wire copy doesn't escalate any further.

8. calibretto

calibretto Member

9. azom

azom Member

Plan?

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

What s/he said.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Will it make anyone's head explode if I tell you we've got five people heading to China right now and four pages a day reserved for the Olympics?

12. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

Four-page sections, so maybe half of a page.

Draft saved Draft deleted