1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your Olympic coverage plan?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Jul 31, 2008.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Assuming you don't have correspondents, how do you plan to cover the Olympics from a time zone 12 hours ahead?
    For us, it will be a page in our daily run -- the general roundup, a roundup from CP of how Canada did, with two columns of agate devoted to the medal table; and detailed Canadian agate results; with photo support of course.
    We have a handful of locals attending -- three athletes with ties to the area; a former Olympic athlete who is a television commentator; two members of the mission support staff and a "non accreddited support personnel" guy travelling with the wrestling team.
    We have features on the athletes running on the opening Saturday of the Games and a general roundup story mentioning all the locals and their roles.
    Canadian medal winners will get play on the front of our section, and whatever human interest we have: parents of the Olympians, for example.
    Anybody got anything unique going? Suggestions?
    In your opinion, is this overkill given the time zone difference and the internet and television saturation, or is it worthy because it's The Olympics?
    What's your paper doing?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I vote for the agate page.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A roundup story every day, and updates on the athletes with local ties who are competing.

It's college FB time. The Olympics don't hold a candle to that for our readers' interests, especially Olympics that are more than half a day ahead of our publication schedule.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

That's a pretty xenophobic approach
    I don't suggest you devote pages and pages to the Olympics, but the Olympics are a fairly significant sporting event and do attract a wider audience - including more females.
    People also are attracted by the nationalism the Games tend to inspire
    You might want to consider that before you salivate over the daily musings of a monosyllabic tailback or some such

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Women watch the gymnastics and swimming. That's it. Men watch basketball and track. No one gives a rat's ass about single sculls or bicyling.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

August 8 is college football time?

7. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

In some parts of the country March 7, June 12 and any other day of the year is college football time. HOWEVER, I think interest in the Olympics is more universal, or at least it was before cable TV and the internet splintered our lives so much. I agree that the nationalism aspect is a factor.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not set in stone yet, but I think the current plan is to use the back page for agate, a roundup and a feature -- probably previewing an event that will be televised the next day.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It will be based on page counts.

On Tuesday, our lightest section, we'll go with a briefs package on agate. On a Sunday, we might devote a full page to it with one feature and a lot of briefs.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The resident USWNT soccer fan in my house says fuck off. ::)

And frankly, I'm more interested in the Phelps story (swimming) than I am the basketball. Chip, chip, chipping away at your theory.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Seconded.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Phelps fascinates me. I've always watched as much of the Olympics as possible. Knowing kayakers and crew folks as well as few cyclists, I even watch the events that apparently noone else does.

Draft saved Draft deleted