1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your monthly food budget

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

We have a second refrigerator in the garage which allows us to purchase sale items in bulk. We spend about $100-$150 per week.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What's your food savings minus your additional electricity cost?

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I would think your food budget would fluctuate wildly based on location. I live in the Northeast, and just about everything is 33 percent higher here than my home state of Texas.

Price elasticity, baby.

We go about $170 a week for four, with two kids under 11. One has a special-needs diet, but it averages out on the "special foods vs. volume" he'd eat otherwise.

We eat out too much and I drink too much (with expensive taste), though.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

$450-550 a month for me. I never cook. Ever.

5. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Our family of four probably spends between $600-$650 a month at the grocery store. That would include everything at the store: TP, detergent, vodka, beer, light bulbs, etc.

Yes, we can get liquor at the grocery store...gas stations, too! And yes, it's awesome.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Being single and self sufficient, I've never really figured out how much I spend a month on food. I've also never sat down and wrote out a budget. I know roughly what I can spend on extras and I try to stick under it. At the meat market I spend about $35 a week and at the grocery store I spend another $35 a week. Eating out probably another $60-80 a week (usually lunch at work and then once on the weekend). I know I spend more on food than I have to, but I'd rather spend to get good quality, healthy food. I also cut back on other areas like no cable, I don't drink near as much as I did in my younger days and I don't have a lot of other toys and financial commitments outside of my jeep payment, rent, and utilities. I also know on the weeks when I need to cut back it's pretty easy to do.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The refrigerator runs an estimated $7 per month. My electric bill runs from $35 per month in the winter to $140 in the summer. I keep my A/C on 71-72. If I buy 5lbs of ground beef for $10 instead of purchasing at $4.99 per pound there is a net benefit of $15 with one purchase.

Easily covers the cost of running a refrigerator.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I keep my a/c at 79-80 and my electric bill was 150 bucks last month. I want to live where you live. :D

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I spent $49 last week, but that included some stuff like light bulbs, etc. Yesterday I spent $37.45 and that will last all week. Lunch and dinner. I guess monthly, I'd say around $120-125

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Buck beat me to it, but I'll reiterate that there is a difference between "food" budget and "grocery" budget. I have a family of four and we spend about $280 a month at the grocery store and another $200 or so a month dining out. I'm hoping both figures drop after one of the novelistas leaves for college in six weeks.

If I were single, I don't know that I'd ever darken the door of a grocery store.

Interesting fact: U.S. residents spend a lower percentage (last time I saw this statistic it was about 11 percent) of their household incomes on food than those in virtually every other country in the world. UPDATE: According to the USDA, it was 6.9 percent in 2009.

http://www.bigpictureagriculture.com/2011/09/food-as-percent-of-total-household.html

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I miss getting takeout on a regular basis and going out for sushi weekly, but we've been super diligent about putting money away for the kids to go to college that I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted