1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your monthly food budget

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 9, 2012.

1. My wife noted last night that we (a family of five, with three boys) spend about $800 a month on groceries.
    I think that's pretty high. I told her we could EASILY lop $200 off that figure* ...
    Of our three boys, the oldest is 9, so it's not like we are (yet) feeding three eating machines.

I'm curious what others pay a month for groceries ...

* My beloved truck was totaled by derecho and we can't afford a a new truck, a new used one is going to be a stretch.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just the wife and I. No kids. We spend roughly $70-80 a week at the grocery store. So....around $300 a month, give or take.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

$120 for me. About $60 a month for the pets.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

About 300 month for family of three.

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'd say my wife and I average $250-$350 per month at the grocery store.

We use a ton of coupons that you can get in these old relics called newspapers.

6. We do not use coupons. Sam's, Aldis and Wal-mart and occasionally Kroger's for specialty stuff.
    I wonder if there is that big of savings with coupons, compared to discount and off-brands? And sales?

7. JackReacher

Yeah. We've never used coupons for anything that I can remember. We just get on each store's club , where you get discounted pricing; like the Food Lion MVP card or whatever. We buy a good mix of off-brand and name-brand stuff, depending on the item.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Kroger has been sending out a lot of coupons in the mail of late. Good ones, too. They send you coupons based on the stuff you buy the most often at the store. So I'll get free coupons for bacon or eggs, and great discounts on a lot of other things I purchase. I dig.

I've really tried to cut my grocery bill down of late. For myself, I'm somewhere between $140-180, not including suds. Then again, I'll buy other things at the grocery store (toiletries, etc.) just for convenience sake. It's not so much cheaper to go to Target that it's worth the extra drive/hassle.

9. JackReacher

I hate those weeks where you end up needing the expensive necessities all at once: bathroom supplies, laundry detergent, dishwater detergent, the 30-pack of White Castle burgers.......hate that.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like they always come in bunches.

11. NO! We are NOT counting beer as groceries! No.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Also in a house with three boys. They are all under the age of 8 but already eat like crazy. I'm not thrilled with the prospect of things in a few years. I don't have as good of figures as I should, but I'd say we're also in the $800 range.

Draft saved Draft deleted