1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your mileage rate?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

For those who don't have access to company cars, and are required to drive to cover events, at what rate does your company reimburse you for the miles you drive?

Just curious. I was informed recently that the current government is something like 48 1/2 cents per mile.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

21c per mile. And probably half of all mileage items are disallowed.

5. North61

North61 Member

At the last Podunk-Gazette Times I was at, the rate was a flat 23 cents

At the place I'm at now, it varies from 30 cents at a base of 2.50 a gallon. Each month the publisher goes to the cheapest station in town to see what gas is. Per every dime increase in gallon, we get one more cent per mile in that month. It's lame, but it's better than 23 cents. I think right now we're at 33 cents a mile.

The worst is when it's 2.70 on the first of the month, then five days later it hits $3 and it doesen't effect anything.

Though, once gas gets above $3 a gallon, I refuse to hit the road unless it is for a big event, not just some regular season prep game.

6. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

37 cents, and I'm not complaining. I just put the rest on tax writeoffs

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Last month was 42.6, the highest in my 24 years. First time we went over 40 cents a mile.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

34¢.

On your tax returns, you can claim 40.5¢ a mile for part of the year (Jan-Sept, I think) and 48.5¢ the rest of the way. So you get it back, sort of, anyway.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That was a year ago. This year, it's one rate.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Send a note to Bob Jelenic for me.

And that only works if you have enough to itemize. I'd bet that for a lot of reporters at smaller newspapers, it doesn't pay to itemize.

11. jennylee

jennylee Guest

We're on a sliding scale, but it's never gotten above .395 a mile despite the high gas prices. HR won't even discuss adjusting the scale.

Draft saved Draft deleted