1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your favorite beer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't everybody a snob about something?

Some are beer snobs, others are literature snobs or music snobs, brand of toothpaste snobs or what-beat-do-you-cover snobs.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

No.

3. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Many already mentioned and: Moose Drool, John Courage and almost anything made by Victory.

Related topic. Does anyone know what happened to Dock Street, which I think used to come from Philadelphia?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Guinness and Stella are one-two for me.

Bass, Harp, Molson Golden fill out the next rung.

No problem with High Life whatsoever. A nice economical alternative.

5. shecky

shecky Member

Proud beer snob here. Ultimately, the beer I like best is the beer I make. Just made a Sam Adams summer knockoff that my wife likes better than the Sam. Yummy.

Outside of that:
    Victory Hop Devil
    Magic Hat Roxy Rolles
    New England Brewing Sea Hag IPA (and it comes in a can)
    Brooklyn Brown
    Magic Hat H.IPA (I'm a serious hop-head)

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Heineken's my everyday beer. St. Pauli Girl otherwise.
    Fat Tire's in my fridge now.
    Just polished off last of the Leinie's recently.
    Had a shit-ton of Manny's IPA in Seattle.
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale is also high on my list.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Damn, this thread is making me thirsty.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Sampled the New Belgium Abbey and Trippel at the brewery a couple weeks back. Great versions of the styles, and at the source even tastier.

Not a huge fan of the other NB stuff, though several of us destroyed a corny keg (5.1gal) of Skinny Dip at a BBQ that warm Friday evening. Drinkable stuff, just wouldn't bust down a wall to get at it.

Speaking of Colorado stuff, Odells makes some fabulous stuff. Their IPA is one of the best in that style I've ever tasted (and I've tasted a LOT). The 90 Schilling Scottish and Cutthroat Porter are also excellent.

Had a pint of Old Ruffian Barleywine at Great Divide Brewery. Very tasty, as was their Yeti Imperial Stout and Hercules Double IPA.

My favorites tend to change with what/where I am drinking at the time!

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Totally true- less chances for oxidation (air can seep under caps of bottles), which causes off-tastes and spoilage, in cans. Of course, there has to be beer with actual taste in the cans first.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

For me, liking quality beer has nothing to do with snobbery, and everything to do with taste. I'd like to drink a beer that doesn't taste like water (i.e. bud, miller, coors) or worse (the beast, keystone).

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Favorites:
    Many of the New Belgium brews Inky mentioned are quality.
    Fat Tire is in my fridge now.
    I need to find some more Moose Drool (CLAWS: Yes, gotta try the Moose)
    Newcastle Brown

But lets be realistic. If it's cold and beer, I'll probably drink it unless it's some fruity Lienie's (sp?) brew. That leads to ...

What I often drink:
    Budweiser, Bud Light and PBR ... often from a can with Bud and PBR. As I said early tho, gimme a cold Natty Light, and I'll probably drink it.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fat Tire and Moose Drool and when it's in season, Two Below, New Belguim's winter beer.

Draft saved Draft deleted