1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your definition of a sports dynasty?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Showtime Lakers: 5 titles, 8 title-game appearances. Dynasty.

Chicago Jordans: 6 titles in 8 years, and we damn well know it would've been 8 for 8 had he not gone chasing waterfalls curveballs. Dynasty.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Interesting that Oregon State is only the third school to ever win two in a row and also interesting that the Pac-10 has three schools which are in this mix.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No.

You have to win more than one title to be a dynasty.

The Braves are an excellent organization.

Not a dynasty.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In a simpler time and place, perhaps, Norrin... ;)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought Norrin was referring to the Yankees, hence no blue font needed.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oregon State is the fifth school to win two in a row. In addition to USC, Texas and LSU, Stanford (1987 and '88) won back-to-back titles. And there you go, yet another Pac-10 school.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think UCLA hoops under Wooden, the Celtics of the late 50s-early 60s, the Canadiens at a couple of points, De la Salle football and Edwin Moses are the gold standards.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Plus the Yankees from '49-'58

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What about the Patriots? Three Super Bowl titles in four years (2002-05). That's unheard-of in the salary cap era. Other than the Cowboys of the early 90s, who were assembled before the cap kicked in. Those Cowboys were a dynasty. Considering the even greater amount of parity in the league later on, the Pats were an even bigger dynasty.

The Spurs have won four NBA titles in nine years. Are they a dynasty? If they go 5 in 10 next year, I'll say definitely, but that'll be kind of awkward with the Kobe-Shaq Lakers mixed in with them over that stretch.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Should the term dynasty take into account some turnover in personnel? Florida's basketball team can't be considered a dynasty because it's the same five (or seven, counting subs) who won both titles. Dynasty implies something that's handed down.

I don't know enough about Oregon State's lineup to know how much turnover there's been, but if it's six or seven of the same position players and a couple pitchers, I'd be hard-pressed to label them a dynasty. LSU, however, was a dynasty. They were consistently in Omaha all during that stretch and nine years start to finish means at least two full flushes of the roster.

I don't know how I'd apply things in the pro ranks. I think the pre-90s Yankees clubs that won title after title and the Celtics of Russell-Cousy-et al earn it just by sheer longevity, so that pooh-poohs my own argument. The NFL's salary cap makes the Pats stay at or near the top close to dynastic. I'd say they need to win one more title separate from those three in four years, but that's straying into subjectivity.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Steelers

four in six, and a legitimate Super Bowl contender/favorite for eight-straight seasons

UCLA volleyball

Iowa and Oklahoma State in wrestling

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Obviously I'm a bit biased...but those Pats will always be considered a dynasty in my book. 34-4 over two seasons, broke the all-time consecutive winning streak, 3 titles in 4 years including back-to-back. let's see another team do all that in the salary cap era...nearly impossible. anything less than a superbowl victory will be unacceptable this year, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted