1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your deadline?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Dec 24, 2006.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Anyone else stuck with the early deadline today for the section. I doubt we'll get any of the 3 p.m. games in because of our deadline, which is 7 p.m. What's your deadline?

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What games are 3 p.m.? The NFL games are 1 and 4:15 p.m.
    We've got a 9 p.m. press start tonight. Hopefully we can get all the pages except for the NFL page(s) off the floor by 7-7:30 and then just hold for those final 3 games at 4:15.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Some of us aren't on Eastern time.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Our deadline is 6 p.m. so we definitely won't be getting the 3 p.m. games in.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

8 p.m. floor. We'll be hopping a little bit on the 4:15 games, but it shouldn't be a problem.

6. joe

joe Active Member

1 p.m. Tuesday.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My little shop did a double-deadline Friday so we could have Sat-Sun-Mon off. Nice to have the days, but having to work twice as hard to get them was not fun.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

First 10:55 p.m.; 2nd 11:45; final 12:25. What is this some kind of special day or something?

Yea, I wanted to hit midnight mass, but it ain't happening tonight.

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

You mean, there are people in here complaining about early deadlines?
    Get in, get out ... screw the sports world and go spend some time with friends and family.

We're not early (11:30 p.m. first deadline, the rest as usual). Wish we were.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Deadlines are normal for us (11:15, 12:50, 1:50) because our CEO and/or publisher can't live without getting the Hawaii Bowl (8 p.m.) in tomorrow's paper.

If not for that, we'd be done and out of there by 9:30. Instead, we'll have to sit around for 2 1/2 hours until the bowl game ends and we get checking papers off the first run.

Assuming all we need is an 11-inch 1st lead writethru on the bowl game (since neither of the teams are even remotely local), I figure we'll be done for the night around 12:30 or 12:45.

Tomorrow is even worse because the late NFL game has a local team. So we'll have to wait for the optional to move, which probably won't be until after 1 a.m.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

With my cold I wasn't thinking straight and forgot about time zone changes and the fact that people found it easier to drop the 15 from the start time of the late games. So shoot me.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

What is this "deadline" of which you speak? ???

Draft saved Draft deleted