1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your choice? Best-worst romantic movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pretty woman: i'm not big on glorifying the whore profession.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Would you have felt better if the roommmate had been murdered by the pimp?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just sayin' chief. havin' two girls allows you to see things from another perspective.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's silly, but for me, 50 First Dates is both a good guy romantic movie, and a great movie to have on during a date. Especially a first date. Trust me on this one.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Ditto that.

And no love for Amelie?

Jennifer Lopez was pretty good opposite George Clooney in 'Out of Sight', the best Soderbergh picture out there.

6. doctor x

doctor x Member

Officer and a Gentleman, anyone?

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I thought The Notebook was pretty damn good, and I don't care for those type of movies.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's interesting, I agree about "Casablanca" being the best ... and he doesn't get the girl.

(Except, of course, in the Robert Coover version of the story.)

Something newer? I rarely watch that kind of movie, so I don't have much to add. "Message in a Bottle" was interesting, despite being a Costner vehicle. He doesn't get the girl, either.

"The Big Easy" is damned sexy for a murder mystery.

A romantic movie that I really, really loved was "Head Over Heels," based on an Ann Beattie novel "Chilly Scenes of Winter." Released in 1979 with a happy ending – and then, oddly enough, re-released in 1982 with a melancholy ending. Hell of a cast, including John Heard, Mary Beth Hurt and Peter Riegert.

I'm trying to think of one where the guy gets the girl for sure. "Some Kind of Wonderful," maybe. I liked "Notting Hill" much better than "Four Weddings," but that's just me.

Worst? Feh. I got nothin' right now.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Commando.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Casablanca and then everything else.

I also like Love Actually. and for a Jack Nicholson movie, instead of As Good As it Gets (which was pretty good), how about Something's Gotta Give. Amanda Peet--nice. But it does have Keanu Reeves playing a heart doctor. How the hell does that guy get these roles--FBI agent, Doctor, hardass LA detective?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How about a very under-rated flick?

Untamed Heart.

Christian Slater and Marisa Tomei were fantastic as two very offbeat characters. One of my favorites.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I second that. Zack Mayo rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted