1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your choice? Best-worst romantic movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Did not mind the love aspect of Titanic at all. It was like two movies in one -- a sappy chick flick and an action movie.

I don't really do romantic movies generally though, so I don't really have anything else.

Maybe Sense and Sensibility as the best?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Liked Titanic and Sleepless in Seattle. Love Story is so-so for me, but I like the ending when the son walks away from his father.

Pearl Harbor was O.K, but they could have done without the love triangle.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I'm not sure if this falls under this category, but I liked "Jersey Girl" for some reason.
    I liked Affleck's traditional romance with Liv Tyler and I liked his "romance" with his daughter. And before anyone can misconstrue what I mean, I felt Affleck and his daughter had a great relationship. When he took her to the city (New York) and was walking with her and then at the end, when he dances with her. She protected him as much as he protected her.
    If I'm ever lucky enough to have a daughter someday, I hope we can have that type of relationship.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Now that my brain's working . . .

(and that Tripp mentioned a Kevin Smith movie)

Best: Chasing Amy
    Worst: Gigli

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The problem with the "love story" aspect of Titanic is that the relationship between Jack and the Kate Winslet character is historically impossible.

There is no way--none--that in the class bound post-Edwardian society of 1912 that these two would have ever sat down at the same dinner table together, let alone party in third class. The whole premise is preposterous.

I mean, I understand poetic license but this is like creating a historical-based film about WW1 and having the Germans win.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree with JR because this was the beginning of a true women's liberation era and I do think, in spite of the classism of the time, that there were women, as there are now, who get smitten with the Johnny Reb of the time. On that ship he fit that bill. Besides, looking at the bitch of a character that her mother was, wouldn't a lot of kids want to buck that kind of mom?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As Good As it Gets would be near or at the top of my list...

Nice call on Chasing Amy... An A+ film until the last 20 minutes which sucked...

Jerry Maguire would have to be on this list... When Harry Met Sally... Pretty Woman... Casablanca is a classic...

Sleepless in Seattle sucked...

Titanic didn't suck, but it doesn't hold up well...

Annie Hall may be the most overrated movie of all time, even though I know I'm in the minority on that one...

I actually thoroughly enjoyed My Best Friend's Wedding and I am not much of a Julia Roberts fan...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm actually going to defend Hugh Grant here...

About a Boy was great...

Four Weddings was very good...

Notting Hill was watchable...

Nine Months was very funny...

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Best: Love Actually and The Notebook

Worst: Titanic.

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Does Dawn of the Dead qualify as a romantic movie?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out what "hold up well" means. ???

When it came out, it was about something that happened 86 years ago.

Today, it's about something that happened 96 years ago.

Like it or hate it . . . it holds up the same to me.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

As Good As It Gets is tremendous in its ability to entertain and engross.

Love Actually is eminently likable.

Found Brokeback Mountain very romantic.

Draft saved Draft deleted