1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your bad luck football story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 7, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Provincial playdowns start this weekend, for the first time in a few years the big local high school has the chance to make it beyond the first round ... that is until Monday night. Their two star linemen ans starting tailback/kick returner were involved in a car accident. Apparently they were just fucking around tailgating eachother, except the tail lights in the lead vehicle didn't work and when he slammed on the brakes the car in back kept on going. luckily no severe injuries, although the one lineman kissed the wind shield but was blessed enough to only walk away with a concussion. Now if they are able to get beyond the powder puff team they face in the first round, they will likely be crushed in the second round. To bad to, they were really starting to hit their stride, I feel a little sorry for the rest of the team, and the quarterback, who if the opposition has any kind of pass rush, will likely be killed himself.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Three_bags has heard this one before ...

2001, Middle Tennessee State takes a 5-0 record on the road to winless (0-6?) North Texas, loses 24-21.

MT finishes 8-3, their only other losses to two SEC teams ... but stays home while North Texas (5-6) gets the New Orleans Bowl bid. Why on earth didn't the bowl put language into the Sun Belt deal that they didn't have to take a team with a LOSING RECORD?

Bastards.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As Coach Woody Widenhoffer will tell you, the wheels fell off the wagon when TVZ took to the field in the HS All-Star Game. Mizzou football never recovered!

""Many college recruits skip Oil Bowl contest

By Al Eschbach

A lot was made last week when several Oklahoma football recruits decided they didn't want to play in the Oil Bowl contest in Wichita Falls, Texas. It really shouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Coaches for the Oklahoma staff lashed out at OU claiming the Sooner coaching staff told the players to withdraw from the game. Bob Stoops countered and said the players could decide on their own if they wanted to play. He pointed out five of his recruits were playing in the encounter.

The bottom line is if you give college coaches a truth serum and asked them if they wanted their recruits to play in an all-star game, they would immediately say no. The reason? That's simple -- injuries.

Any type of game like that, you take the risk of getting hurt. It happens all of the time. The one I remember the most was in the decade of the 1980s when Missouri signed perhaps the most heralded running back ever to come out of that state -- Tony Van Zandt. People were comparing him to then Dallas Cowboy great Tony Dorsett.

Van Zandt decided to play in the all-state game in July. What happened was a disaster. He tore up his knee in the game. He wound up playing for the Tigers, but was never a factor in his stay there.""

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You would think it funny, you prick... I'm done with you, troll...

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If I hated the Packers, these would qualify ...

[​IMG]

1980 ... Chester Marcol scores a TD on a blocked field goal in OT against the Bears. Check out kick ass Lynn Dickey do.

[​IMG]

1989 ... Replay game

[​IMG]

1996 ... Super Bowl XXXI

[​IMG]

2000 ... Antonio Freeman miracle catch against the Vikings on MNF.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2003 ... Nate Poole miracle catch puts Packers in playoffs at expense of Vikings.

Hey! I dug up an accompanying audio link! I have no idea where I found this ...

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/kfan/gm%20winning%20td.mp3

But I don't hate the Packers, so I guess they don't qualify.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I was announcing this high school game at Texas Stadium, and our team was losing big. It just wasn't their night.

Then they stage a big comeback to take the lead with seconds to play.

They kick off. The other team's returner finds a seam and goes all the way.

Those poor kids.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Majkowski was past the line of scrimmage, damnit!

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Like no high school back has ever been compared to Tony Dorsett before.

Anybody remember Brandon Williams? Exactly my point. There was a lot of that talk about Williams when he committed to Pitt. That ended a game or two into his freshman year, when people actually saw him try to run against Division I competition. Ended up a part-time linebacker his senior year.

(Though he was a very smart kid who did graduate. Probably doing well in the real world these days).

10. bige2you

bige2you New Member

im 20-52 as a starter, a decent passer, and half the city wants Sage Rosenfels to start

[​IMG]

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My junior year of high school, Oak Park, my alma mater, plays archrival and recently nationally ranked Blue Springs.

Back and forth game, up and down. BS has a senior running back by the name of Laddell Betts (formerly of Iowa, now with the 'Skins), who just tears OP up. Probably had 250-plus late in the fourth quarter when he takes a sweep to the right. Then he stands up to throw. The guy was open by at least 30 yards. So open, Betts almost under-threw him. BS scores, BS wins. I had fun watching it though.

Draft saved Draft deleted