1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with this story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You don't even have to log in to see why this story is sorely lacking in fact-checking.

http://mckinneynews.net/news.php?nid=7372&cat=1

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, it reads that they all signed one letter. That's what I saw that was wrong.

Did I win?!?!?!?!

3. Football_Bat

No. Although that is a very good catch.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

instead of signing a letter of intent into the Air Force, you enlist into the service?

5. Football_Bat

Very close.

Service academy appointments are done congressionally; you do not "sign" a letter of intent to play football, basketball, baseball, etc. at Air Force, Army or Navy.

This writer allowed his high school to stage a bogus photo-op and was utterly none the wiser.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I wonder how many readers caught that in McKinney.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

none

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wrote a story 2-3 years ago about a local kid going to the Air Force Academy, one of only 7 New Hampshire kids to get the Congressional appointment. Great kid. Going to be the general of the joint chiefs of staff one day.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy started it!

http://mckinneynews.net/news.php?nid=6738&cat=1

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

None of the players is listed on Air Force's 2008 baseball roster:

http://goairforcefalcons.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/afa-m-basebl-mtt.html

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's because they will be finishing their senior year of high school.
    I'd guess - by the dates of the stories - they will be at the AFA in 08-09.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I covered a kid who played football at Navy. Instead of announcing his signing on signing day, we wrote that it was his intention to play football at Navy when his appointment came through, which it did later that spring.
    And we stopped doing signing day photos when one kid, who was a 17-year-old high school senior, wanted his three kids in the picture with him-- ages 3, 2 and 1 -- found out later, three moms.
    Kid never made it to the league, so I wonder how much child support they're getting from his job at Wal-Mart.

Draft saved Draft deleted