1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with this picture? Ma' Nishtanah

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Feb 17, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I remember the urban legend that the week after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, Roethlisberger's people contacted EA and informed them he would like to schedule his cover shoot as his earliest convenience.
    Yet another reason people think he's a prick.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't believe in the Madden or SI cover jinxes because it's sports. Injuries occur, players have statistical drop-offs. Things happen.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The first thing that's wrong with the picture is it's not real.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The games don't change enough to get money from me any more. The last one I bought was 2006.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For a start, it would be the first time a player from a winning SB team would be on the cover, not just SB MVP..

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Crappy photoshop work comes to mind, first.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No kidding. That, the lack of a white background and an actual athletic pose scream "five minutes" to me.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

SI devoted a whole issue to the cover jinx once. It was amazing how many bad things happened to people who were on the cover. In the 50s, there was a woman skier who was paralyzed the same week the cover came out. In 1961 (I think) a U.S. figure skater was on the cover, and the same week, the airplane that the team was flying in crashed and everyone was killed. There was a haunting photo of the half-burned cover that had fallen out of the plane.

Sure, Michael Jordan hasn't really had anything bad happen to him, but it's still surprising about what happened to some of the people featured on the cover.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You mean like the Chunky Soup jinx and the SI cover jinx?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That was going to be my guess... every other photo had an athletic pose/action shot pose. This one is just him standing there.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's just the jinx of being overrated.

12. T2

T2 Member

The concept of the cover jinx has been around even longer than Sports Illustrated.

http://www.geocities.com/tbtho/arch07e.htm#e1

Draft saved Draft deleted