1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with this cartoon?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If I'm a Phillies fan, I'd be a lot more worried that Lee has apparently lost his throwing arm. Perhaps in a bacon-frying incident gone horribly horribly wrong. Either that or he's really got high hopes for being Def Leppard's next drummer.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Hamels be more suited for the role Lee is playing?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not to ruin the fun little threadjack (hahah) but you can see Lee's fingers on the side of the laundry basket.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes you do...and I didn't notice the race of either player pictured until I went back after reading the comments here. This is a non-issue.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know about it being a non-issue. It's my understanding there are many people in and around Philly not too pleased with it.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We still haven't discussed how this extends stereotypes.

1. Whites are the minority in the offense.
    2. The sleeping character represents the offense, which is MIA.
    3. The sleeping character is drawn with a darker-hued skin.

?

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

also having a dog run towards the vacuum. I've had a couple of dogs, and they were always scared of the vacuum. This cartoonist clearly knows nothing about canine psyche.

9. Mystery Meat II

I thought those were hooks or coat hanger ends or something. Plus based on how his upper arm seems to be bending back a bit before it disappears, I thought it was implied he has his hand up his ass.

10. Mystery Meat II

Apparently it perpetrates the horrifying stereotype of black people needing sleep to function. Of course the superior whites are awake and alert 24/7.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And about the laundry ... they have to wear their uniforms at home since everything else is dirty?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You are correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.