1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with the Bradley Center?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Kinda like your comb.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Pistons moved from Cobo Hall to the Silverdome 40 years ago. Their fanbase is concentrated in Oakland and Macomb Counties.

Whatever fan base they had in urban Detroit has either moved the hell out, or is 70-80 years old. And, in the romantic days of the 60s and 70s when the Pistons fanbase was based heavily in the city, they annually dragged near the bottom in league attendance.

If Gores has some "dream" of moving the Pistons downtown in front of half-empty houses to pay rent to the Ilitches while the Palace sits vacant, he's out of his goddamn mind.

BTW, Foster is a flack, a shill for Gores. This is mainly a smokescreen to get Pistons fans to go along with the diversions of public money for the Red Wings arena.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

SP, I love your car stories, as unfortunate as they were, but you made them funny.

Twice now, you've responded by mentioning a comb, and I am completely at a loss to understand your retort. Maybe I am just dense, but, no pun intended, but your "comb" reference is going over my head. Do you know me? I am a balding mofo. But I don't think we've met. PM me if you wish. I hate to ask for a potential joke to be explained.... But I do like a good laugh, particularly at myself.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Pistons were 26th in attendance last season. Red Wings are going to be the team companies buy suites for if the Pistons stay at The Palace. They won't do worse downtown.

6. Smallpotatoes

Back in the 80s there was an Old Spice deodorant commercial. The idea was that people were trading in their deodorant for Old Spice. One scene showed a military recruit handing his deodorant to his drill instructor, saying "Here Sergeant, hardly used." The DI replied "Kinda like your comb."
    For some reason, through the years, that's stayed with me.
    Having never served, I didn't really get it, but I found it kind of funny.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They won't draw anywhere as long as the team continues to suck ass.

They'll draw at The Palace if the team gets competitive (gets up to or over .500, makes the playoffs, etc). If they move downtown they won't draw crap unless and until they become title contenders, and that's nowhere in the even imaginable future.

If they move in as tenants in the Red Wings arena, they'll be the consolation/ booby prize for corporate suite entertaining unless the Wings totally implode and turn into chronic dungeon dwellers and the Pistons catch a miracle and become dominant NBA championship factors once again.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll check and see if I can find a YouTube of that old commercial. Thanks for the reply!

And, "comb" has some really odd and vulgar references in the urban dictionary. I wouldn't recommend looking them up. I decided there was no way you comb reference matched anything in the urban dictionary.

9. Smallpotatoes

I've looked and sadly haven't been able to find it.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What corporate base is there inside Detroit proper? GM is about it. The Fortune 500 companies are based in Oakland County.

Draft saved Draft deleted