1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with the Bradley Center?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've read a few things recently about the Bucks getting a new arena?
    It doesn't seem like that long ago that the Bradley Center was opened (OK, I looked it up, it was 1988, 27 years ago, so maybe it is that old).
    I've never been inside that arena.
    How bad is it?
    And do arenas really become obsolete that quickly?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Structurally no, financially yes. Clubs, luxury boxes, practice facilities. I think we've seen the last team play in an arena ever referred to as "venerable."

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They don't make them like they used to, I guess.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Just like cars.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's anything horrific, just routine maintenance and some other things. How did the other arenas manage to last 50, 60 years?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One big knock on the Bradley Center has always been that it's built for hockey -- the money came from former Blackhawks radio man Lloyd Petit and his wife, Jane Bradley, heiress to a manufacturing fortune. So the seat angles and sight lines were designed for their goal of getting an NHL team. Doesn't make it a great basketball experience.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Lacks "modern" amenities that drive up franchise value, which is where most owners make most of their money off the team when they sell.

The Suns are looking to build a new arena, and theirs isn't even 30 years old. The arenas the Pistons and Jazz play in are slightly older, but the Pistons can always move to the new Red Wings arena.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's no better time than now to steal money from the Wisconsin education system and funnel it to the richest people in Wisconsin for a new arena. That's what's wrong with it.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Those damn teachers are making too much. Gotta line the pockets of out-of-state billionaires.

Building an extravagant arena for a franchise that may employ 100 or 200 people is ridiculous. With some renovations that arena would still get booked for plenty of dates (the AHL team, concerts, Marquette still plays there I think).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You won't find a more over-bloated thing in this world than the Wisconsin "eductation" system.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

They did cut the spelling teachers, though. Gotta start sumwhere!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted