1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'What's wrong with college basketball?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 9, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can see Bubbler's future, and it involves many angry and disjointed PMs in his inbox.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Nice of USAT to weigh in ... one month after the Washington Post weighed in after somebody wrote something about Duke students not going to games.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/acc-mens-basketball-teams-struggling-at-the-box-office/2012/02/09/gIQA7jFY2Q_story.html

As a rule, attendance stories are as predictable as they are lame. There are no new reasons. Just new sources talking about the same old reasons. This topic is perfect for one of USAT's little bar charts. This is what it was. This is what it is. It's worth 3 inches, not 35.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This might be a topic for the Journalism Board, but I don't understand why it is significant that the Washington Post already wrote something on this. USA Today is a national paper. The Washington Post is an East Coast paper. We don't even get it where I live.

It's a fair point, though: Is there some sort of gentleman's agreement in place on piggybacking trend stories?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

:D

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ever-changing tipoff times don't help. Lots of Microville Tech's fans come from a metro area about 90 minutes away. Start the game at 5:30 or 6, and they can't make it. Start it at 7:30 or 8, and they get home way too late (on school nights). And don't even get me started on 5:30 Sunday games.

It's an old complaint, but the guy who actually pays for the ticket often gets screwed for the sake of the stay-at-home TV audience.

6. Bubbler

The constant milking of season-ticket holders and donors doesn't help either.

One problem that most definitely afflicts collegiate sports is the over-bloated salaries they pay coaches (colleges are worse than any free-spending professional franchise when it comes to forking over dough in desperation, coaches use this leverage to the hilt, of course, as well they should) and the investment they feel they must make in facilities to keep up with the joneses.

Budgetary concerns are the tipping point of collegiate athletics, not any kind of enthusiasm gap.

7. I think there is a long-term enthusiasm decline as some of the better college sports schools become more and more centers of academics, not sports fans. More students on the margins are choosing to stay home than go to games. See: Duke, Virginia, BC, Notre Dame, etc.

And, obviously, this is limited ONLY to student enthusiasm.

8. Dick Whitman

One thing you have to admire about LTL is how he always keeps his cool around here. I can see why he would be comfortable calling other people out.

9. Bubbler

This shit just re-posts itself.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

College basketball has not been great since the early 90's when the best players were going straight to the NBA or leaving after freshman year. It's hurt the NBA also.

Senior nights are a joke. It's all walk on's.

College Football is still great because the players are there at least 3 years and become recognizable names nationwide.

See Tebow, Tim.

College Basketball was great when you could watch players like Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullen play in college for 4 years.

11. Dick Whitman

I love it. You get all ass hurt because someone dredged up a post of yours from a year ago. But you're the cool, calm, and collected one, now that you've got a bodyguard jumping in for you. We all know the truth, though: Mr. Crankypants. Like always.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Have you gotten a PM yet, Bubbler? I haven't gotten a PM yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted