1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's with all the hyphens anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by drexler, Aug 17, 2019.

1. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I Am Not A Big Fan Of Press Releases, Particularly From Institutions Of (Supposedly) Higher Learning, In Which The Writer Insists On Capitalizing The First Letter Of Almost Every Word. (Johnny Smith was named Academic First Team All-Conference after leading the Fightin' Maruspials to a share of the Conference Championship and a berth in The NCAA National Tournament First Round.)

MNgremlin and SFIND like this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

At least we can all agree that the Oxford comma is extraneous and most often deployed by people unfamiliar with re-writing a sentence so that you never need one. Ya know, bad writers.

SFIND likes this.
  3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Who decided that AM/PM is acceptable. And phone numbers listed as 123.456.7890? They should be flogged.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

I'm a digital content editor for a municipal website -- sexy -- and the calendar event creation unfortunately defaults to that. It's not an editable aspect of the content management system, so people are so used to it there that they make the mistake in copy. I correct it where I can and even have a style guide that everyone is supposed to adhere to. But we're working with union works who largely seek to due the bare minimum, which doesn't include adhering to AP style.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The guy is an editor at Random House. I agree with him.

6. CD Boogie

You're entitled to be wrong.

BTW, Jackie Kennedy was an editor at Random House too. They ain't all Maxwell Perkins.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Put the comma in and avoid possible confusion. What's the problem?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have seen fisticuffs nearly break out in a newsroom over the Oxford comma. Stylization of Wal-Mart as well. No word of a lie.

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

For the comma fight, was it a situation in which peanut butter and jelly was the end of a series?

Also, fuck Walmart | Wal-Mart | WalMart

10. CD Boogie

Rewrite so it’s not an issue. The elimination of a comma is always a benefit

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know about that.

12. CD Boogie

"That" should also be eliminated from most sentences. :D

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted