1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's up with Patch.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Thanks Boston. Benefits and bonus make this an attractive offer. Good luck!

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It's still going to be quicker cash flow than waiting for a monthly check.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Is it just the freelancers that get paid through PayPal or the fulltime editors as well?

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This is real folks. Plenty of cash behind it and they have a nice model. I got contacted by one of their recruiters, and others I know think it has potential. They are going into affluent suburbs and staying away from metros. The local editor runs the site and updates. He hires freelancers etc. They have people above them too. The work is good because they are hiring pros. I was told $40,000 for an editor spot. Not sure if true. Could be market sensitive.

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I'm sure the opportunities are real and AOL.com has no doubt pumped money into it, but it seems editors are going to be working round the clock and I'm guessing the average pay is about $12 to $14 per hour.

In other words, if you have a full-time newspaper job that appears stable (if that even exists anymore) I wouldn't jump ship for Patch.com. Maybe you can freelance for them, not sure about that.

It may sound great and all but most metro newspapers are developing their own local blogs or should be. I would think people are still going to respect a trusted brand rather than something brand new.

Some of the stuff on these Patch sites is no better than a local school lunch menu. I really can't see them doing much in-depth reporting.

7. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

In terms of freelancing, when I interviewed for a freelance gig for a New York-based Patch site, they offered $30 per game story. No thanks.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Demand pays work you do on Thursday-Sunday into your PayPal account Tuesday at about 5 p.m. and work you do from Monday-Wednesday into your PayPal account Friday at about 6-7 p.m.

I transfer the Tuesday money right when I get it and it shows up in my bank account on Thursday mornings. I transfer the Friday money right when I get it or later that night and it shows up in my account first thing Monday.

Rarely does it deviate. Pretty reliable from my point of view.

Draft saved Draft deleted