1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's up w/ Patch.com

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by nmsports, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Seems like you'd want ANYONE who could write well to help build the brand.

Going from sports to news is quite easy. I mean, you are gathering facts, interviewing sources in sports, just like you would on a news beat.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Running a Patch site is about a lot more than writing -- in our sites here, I see some of the editors who are good writers but who clearly can't copy edit, nor manage story flow (feast or famine in terms of new content), nor time manage. That's not a slam. It's not an easy thing to master.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

There isn't a ton of experienced sports guy in RI just hanging out right now either though. I can think of three, and two are looking for full-time teaching gigs now, and the other already does some stuff for one of our sites. The weeklies in our area are mostly in the same boat, as they rely on a couple college kids.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Patch isn't looking for a typical news reporter either. Some regional editors are heavy into crowdsourcing via Twitter and Facebook. It's a hit-and-miss when seeing if local Patch editors are actually doing this.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Patch is redlining. The digital divide is alive and well.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ok, so we know what's up with Patch.com.

Do we know what's up with Patches.com?

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I'm actually doing a sports freelance piece for a local Patch on an aspiring Olympian. Good experience and money in my pocket. Wonder how the Huff Post purchase will affect Patch...hmm...

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I've been told that the Patch freelance budgets, at least in my area, have been cut severely. That should be a good indication of how the Huff Post purchase is going to affect Patch.

9. Miz09

Miz09 New Member

They cut the budget in my area and the editor told me they might cut it further. Not sure if it's related to Huffington though.

Draft saved Draft deleted