1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's up w/ Patch.com

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by nmsports, Sep 6, 2010.

1. nmsports

nmsports Member

Does anybody know the story behind Patch.com? Is this another coachesaid expansion implosion in the making? They seem to be spreading very aggressively and I'm curious about it.

Thanks for any insight (if this has been discussed before, sorry I missed the thread).

2. writerguy1969

writerguy1969 New Member

AOL acquired New York-based startup Patch Media in June 2009. Until then, Patch only had operated its hyperlocal news sites in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. This past February, however, AOL announced plans to greatly expand the sites into several hundred markets by year's end. Here's something I wrote on this Aug. 17:

AOL's Patch.com Launches 100th Site, Plans 500 Hires This Year

New York -- AOL on Tuesday said it has launched its 100th Patch.com hyperlocal news and information site in Morristown, N.J., and outlined plans to hire more than 500 additional journalists in 20 states by year's end. The company, which began with three Patch sites in Feb. 2009, said it now expects to be the largest hirer of full-time journalists in the U.S. this year. "We believe Patch is a revolutionary and efficient approach to producing relevant, quality local journalism at scale," said Warren Webster, the president of Patch Media. Every Patch site is run by one full-time local editor who, along with freelancers, produces original news and information for a specific community. The sites also let community members comment on stories, share opinions, post photos and announcements and add events to a community calendar. Sites are currently live in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Virginia.
    http://www.patch.com/
    http://corp.aol.com/2010/08/17/aol-s-patch-launches-100th-site-plans-expansion-to-more-than-50/

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There's a lot of money being poured in it, and as a journalist who does freelance, that's enough for me.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

IF I were to bet on one of these startups succeeding, Patch.com would be it. It's got impressive executives and serious financial backing.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

An article on Poynter said patch.com is expected to spend about $45 million, this year, on start-up editorial costs.

It is one of the largest single investments in editorial in some time.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It is a great concept. Since it hit our area I've been in there almost every day for local news and sports. Also has some interesting discussions on local issues.

We have one going on now. 84 year old man was hit and killed at his mail box. Driver did not stop. Police id'ed Vehicle based on missing mirror. Was driven by 32 year old lady. Police have impounded truck but did not make any arrests or released name of driver. They have said it could take up to a year to complete investigation. Patch discussion is pretty indignant towards the police. Feeling is that they are protecting this lady because of connections.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm working on a Patch site in Rhode Island as the local editor. While I obviously can't share every detail about their business plan and what not, AOL has sunk a lot of capital and serious muscle into the organization. So far, the experience for me has been great.

8. nmsports

nmsports Member

Thanks for the insight everybody. Hope this heads toward NM some time soon. Once burned by coachesaid makes one wary.

9. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

You guys are kidding on this, right? In perusing a few Patch.com sites I have seen almost nothing in the way of breaking news and new sports stories go up about every three days. Why would anyone want to use this to get their local news.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Probably depends on area. The site in my area is very current.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The ones in my area (Rhode Island) update two to five times a day with news. Sports can still be a bit here and there, but the high school season hasn't started yet, and most of the sites are hyper-local and thus wouldn't run any wire or pro stories.

12. SudburyPatch

SudburyPatch Guest

If anyone wants info from someone who works as a full-time editor for Patch, let me know. I'm still in the market for sports freelancers who are available to cover late afternoon HS sports events and understand the importance of hitting a deadline.
    E-mail me at Robert.Fucci@patch.com

Draft saved Draft deleted