1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's up in Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

the relatively new managing editor is from Akron. Maybe her boss is letting her make a decision.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Even beleaguered papers (wait, is that redundant?) ought to make exceptions when an outside hire is a double-whammy: Add someone good and steal a competitor's horse. Few bother to play that hard anymore, but this would be the perfect opportunity.

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

They already did that with Terry Pluto; hard to picture them trying it again.

4. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Why not go for it? With LeBron having two years left on his deal, it's a gamble worth taking. When else might Cleveland have one of the world's most influential athletes?

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Huh? Unless you're talking about Windhorst being as close with LeBron as anyone is, I am not sure if one thing has anything to do with the other.

6. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I could picture the sports editor, Roy Hewitt, being asked whom he could fire, not whom he could hire.

7. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Roy Hewitt doesn't have a great track record for recruiting and hiring white males such as Windhorst, especially since Pluto wasn't his call.

So maybe he's due. ;D

9. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

I think that's right.

10. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Speaking of Windhorst, very scary news

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-353/Think-Good-Thoughts-for-Brian-Windhorst.html

In my prayers...

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, that's horrible. Found this -- in ICU w/double pneumonia and serious complications:

http://neorh.royhobbs.com/?q=node/60

Draft saved Draft deleted