1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's up in Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wait for the movie.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

There is a certain level of irony in the ad on the page that reads, "Tell us why your company is a cool place to work."
    Might be funny if it wasn't so sad.

3. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Ah, this is not the first sign of End Time. A number of papers have already made similar moves. Their doors are still open. Cox papers in Ohio appear to be holding their own in circulation, according to the most recent ABC Fasfax numbers.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Cleveland's still a pretty strong paper overall. While I'd hate to see sections like "College Sunday" or "NFL Monday" folded up, you can put those in the main section without losing too much in the way of content.

As for the playoffs, I have a feeling they'd get some ads for those special sections.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Looks like Ace will have to wait a bit longer to work at the Plain Dealer.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

:'(

7. sportsed

sportsed Member

I don't believe that Newhouse papers perform annual reviews. All the easier, I suppose, for showing cause for dismissal on short notice without the paper trail of those flowery job evaluations an employment attorney always looks for first.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They stopped paying for heat.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told this site is pretty reliable. Anyone?

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7713

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I know the guy who runs the site. And the guy who runs the site is the guy who posted that. They've used stuff from my blog. I've met many of the guys who write for them. Most of them are just guys with opinions. Haven't known them to break news, though.

Still, I do not doubt the veracity. However, it does not say if he is out of a job, period, or just out as beat writer, which has been reported before. (Bob Finnan of the Lake County News-Herald/Lorain Morning Journal referred to Wright as the PD's former Cavs beat writer in an article a couple weeks ago.)

EDIT: Oh, you are referring to the part where he writes that Brian Windhorst will be hired. I don't doubt it's true. We talked about it on this thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/57218/

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Everything I hear says, Wright goes full-time to P-D blogger and a new Cavs writer is anointed. If they go outside, almost definitely Windhorst.

12. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Plain-Dealer said recently it is cutting staff (although the publisher made a half-hearted effort to deny it). Given that, it's hard to believe anyone is getting hired, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted