1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's this VidShadow crap?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LWillhite, Nov 23, 2007.

1. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

Long-time reader, first-time topic starter.

Why is this VidShadow thingie popping up every 10 seconds? Is this the revolution that allows SportsJournalists.com to break even? Is this a penalty for being interested in the Crossed Giblets of Death?

Is anyone else getting this thing today?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Never heard of it. [/sjsubscriber]

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A couple of other posters have mentioned adware and spyware being caused by SportsJournalists.com the last two days. It hasn't hit me yet, but like Good Doc said, I think being a subscriber makes us immune to all ads, even the bad ones.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Time to activate Adblock. I have no problems with having the ads on here, but if the ads start inviting adware and spyware, then time to protect the computer.

It does kinda make you wonder if SportsJournalists.com is on solid financial footing, tho.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ditto.

And Hank, if you're worried about SJ's financial status, cough up $60 for a year. You'll help Lucas and lose the ads!

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I just starting getting it, and it is annoying as fuck.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I only get it when I go to the front page of the forums on my first log-in. So I just start in one of the boards, then go out there.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Just what we need, shaming/coercing people into spending $60 to not get full page ads that fade across the entire screen with invitations to join match.com or enter the publishers clearinghouse sweepstakes.

I could not care less about having a banner ad on every page. I could not care less about hotlinked words in the messages. But pop-ups, fade-ins, etc., that take over a screen are simply too much.

If Webby is trying to make the site so annoying with full screen fade-in ads that people spend money just not to be annoyed, perhaps he's succeeding. Perhaps it's just annoying enough, though, that people will stop visiting.

9. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

I just signed in again to check how others were dealing with this.
    From the time I signed in until I got to this thread -- an attempted direct shot -- the Vidshadow popped up three times.
    While I enjoy this site and I appreciate what Webby and Moddy have done to make it what it is today, I'm afraid I'm not willing to subscribe.
    If it's not too much to ask, could Fenian Bastard and old_tony simply send their political back-and-forths directly to my Daily Herald e-mail address? That's what I'll miss most about SportsJournalists.com :)

Thanks,
    Lindsey

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Deal with it in two ways -- look at the ad or become a subscriber.

Plenty of web sites use those ads.

11. 6 bucks a month doesn't seem too much to show my thanks to Webby for the site.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There is one more way: use Adblocker.

Draft saved Draft deleted