1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's this op-ed missing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was tailored, I'd argue, by her family -- perhaps her sister -- to get the girl attention and to make some cheap, buried political point; and the Wall Street Journal went right along with it. If the original op-ed lays out the four schools that denied her while mentioning she got into Michigan, I assure you, the piece doesn't have 1,000 comments to it. It has about 35 comments, most of them along the "boo fucking hoo" line. What gives the op-ed its charged potency is pretending that the girl got entirely screwed because she was just a bright kid. That's not at all what happened. She applied to four schools that rejected her. Several great schools didn't. And if she'd applied to Columbia -- where her sister attended -- there's a good chance, the way schools like legacies, that she waltzes right in.

Apparently on the "Today" show -- you knew that attention was coming -- the girl claims the whole piece was "satire."

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2013/04/04/17599221-op-ed-attacking-colleges-that-rejected-her-was-satire-student-says?lite

<i>"It was a joke,” she said on TODAY about her controversial op-ed, which also takes swipes at diversity, volunteering, overseas service trips and even her parents.

“It’s a satire. That’s the point. Just like ’30 Rock’ is a satire, which pokes fun at things that are politically correct. That’s what I was trying to do,” Weiss told TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie.</i>

It probably shouldn't piss me off, but it does. The kid got into several terrific schools, refused to name the schools that rejected her until pressed, and chose instead to go after diversity markers (and Elizabeth Warren?) that may or may not have anything to do with how the schools that rejected pick its students.

Nope. The whole op-ed stinks. I think it was done with maximum calculation. The WSJ was either in lockstep with that calculation, or clueless to it.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It goes like this:
    1) Do or say something stupid
    2) Blame the messenger for printing it; or 2b) Claim to have been misquoted; or 2c) If you actually did the writing, blame the stupid populace for failing to grasp your brilliant use of satire, parody or comedy.

Works way too often. Hope it doesn't work here.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whatevs, crankpots. Today Show!

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/128493/suzy-lee-weiss-fires-back-on-the-today-show

"Everyone my age ... is agreeing with me"

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah, just Team Murdoch peddling Rich White Butthurt.

I didn't get the job or the college or whatever I wanted because Heap Big Chief Feminazi Elizabeth Warren or Kunto the African or the Inner-City Kids, or TEH GAYZ took it away from me!! Now I have to go to MICCHHH-EEEUUUUWW-IGAN!!

I want my countreeee back!!!

Shit, if I were Michigan, I'd cancel her admission NOW. Hey, b**ch, if coming here is such a comedown for you, we have hundreds on our waiting list who would be happy to take it.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what's more sad: her being a spoiled race and orientation baiter, or being delusional enough to think she's in the league of the great comic minds of 30 Rock.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ya'll are right about it being a lame piece of writing -- whether it was meant to be satire or it was meant to be serious. And it's understandable why most reasonable adults read that and had the immediate "boo fucking hoo" reaction.

The only difference with me is that I see the kid who wrote it. It's hard for me to get all that indignant over something just because it is lame.

The why did the WSJ publish it question is legit. I can't really say why, other than that I think right now the feeling is kind of split between "Why did this get published?," and "Look at how many eyeballs that thing drew."

I know a couple of kids her age and were applying to colleges this year, and as mature as they seem for their age, it's mature in the sense of, "Look at how precocious that kid is!". ... they really are kids and clueless. Especially kids like her (I am guessing her background), who grew up in relatively sheltered environments, even as they were being encouraged to achieve.

She gets a pass from me. If anything, she was a kid who found a way to get her letter published in the WSJ as an op ed. Read it and roll your eyes, but she's still a 17 or 18 year old kid who has a lot of growing up to do.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I actually thought the column was pretty funny and rung true from the area I live. Everyone is chasing the same 10 schools ( 8 Ivy , Duke, Stanford). It's a lemming mentality. What makes it tough is that there are so many kids with same metrics a college is not going to take too many from same HS.

One interesting trend in past couple of years is a bunch of kids heading south to Alabama and U Miss.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw in the comments that her SAT score was 2120. According to this, that puts her at the 25 percent of accepted students for Yale and Princeton:

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/sat_side_x_side.htm

In other words, she's not that special. Should have shown more personal responsibility and applied to Brown.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing I would like to know is if prestigious schools really would give preference to gay students as the author alleges. I kinda doubt it.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How the fuck do you let a college know ahead of time that you're gay?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Presumably you work it into your admissions essay.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Or if you've written an op-Ed in the school paper or joined a support group. A lot of ways similar to how you'd make your ethnicity known in a job search, for instance.

Draft saved Draft deleted