1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the worst thing your boss has ever done?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by biggerthanlashley, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's classic. I bet the ME cut a deal on the side with the tanning salon to get their services free for the publicity.

2. He wasn't my boss, but our (former) chief photographer got caught in the middle of a huge meth distribution ring.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is also what popped into my head as I read this. Aside from being illegal, it's disgraceful.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah they have to give you your old job back man.

Its a great law to have and should be enforced. You shouldn't be punished for serving.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

I had an Exec. Editor secure a credential for himself to see AP No. 1 (from another state) play at a school in another state. An in-state college we covered was in the same conference, and the SID from our school called me to ask what was up (because out-of-state U contacted him). EE never got his credential, and we had to jump through hoops just to see our school the rest of the year (verify we were on staff with picture ID at each game, seats moved to lesser location, etc.).
    Confronted EE and Publisher about this. EE said he was going to write an editorial about the game. When I said that neither team had a player, coach or even a cheerleader from our state, the Publisher and EE decided to reduce our coverage of our school. Great for the readership.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Didn't happen to me, but a news co-worker had her review (and raise) stalled because the publisher didn't sign the form before he left for Europe.

Doesn't compare to anything else on this thread in terms of impact, but it was amusing, nonetheless.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

They covered their bases by offering me a job 150 miles away, which would've forced me to move and take my wife out of the only pharmacy school in the state. I gave him a cup of STFU, the finger and got a job in Tupelo.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had a boss who flew his entire family of five to APSEs, stayed a week longer than he needed to, billed every cent to the company and not one day counted as vacation...

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This was before the internet while I was at my student paper, so it was tough to prove.

A photog was filling his portfolio at local Cactus League games, and he happened to stay late in the game after all the other photogs had left.

Well Sandberg was hit on the wrist and it knocked him out for the first few months of the season. He was bragging that he was the only person with art when he got back.

Well, a day or two later he could not find the roll of film, which should have been property of the school paper.

Either he never got a decent shot, screwed the film up or he did lose it.

Or he could have sold the roll on the side. Unless AP ran it, we would have never known at the paper.

11. You just described almost every SE in the country.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not true. Some have six in the family.

Draft saved Draft deleted