1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the worst state in the Union?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 22, 2010.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'm a small-town guy, and the only cities I've spent any significant amount of time in are New Orleans, Houston, Kansas City and Memphis. But I have to say I really enjoyed Chicago the one time I visited there. A ton of stuff to do that is easy to find, and some really cool neighborhoods.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that tax money to run the surplus comes from . . . . where?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, if the president is right, then we have 57 possible answers to this question. I'm guessing the worst one is one of the seven with which I am not familiar.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Glad we're following your beseech and leaving politics out.

Anyhoo, I can judge only what I've seen, and northern West Virginia is a hole, northern Mississippi is like Soweto surrounding Tunica, the center of Alabama is desolate, and the Florida Panhandle is a receptacle of peanut and fruit stands. But that's anecdotal stuff. Going by education spending, education level and such, Mississippi and Bama would be my bottom feeders.

5. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I haven't been back east much, so I can't vouch for those states. Nevada has Reno/Tahoe and Vegas and then nothing but desert and tumbleweeds.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Georgia. Sold its name to one of them there commie countries. Just un-American.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know how local news stations would fill a half-hour without dumb criminal/missing kid/sex scandal stories from Florida.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'll let Mike Myers and Dana Carvey decide.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Delaware has low taxes and great beaches that have great restaurants. You can get from any point in the state to any other point in the state in two hours or less. Northern Delaware sucks, and the tolls are a pain in the ass up there. But it's in the top 5 of states I'd move to in a second if I had the opportunity.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

District of Columbia
    Puerto Rico
    U.S. Virgin Islands
    Guam/Northern Marianas
    American Samoa
    Iraq
    Afghanistan

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When I plan a beach trip, Delaware ranks about 8th on the list. If that high. Maybe I'm sleeping on the Delaware beaches. I'll risk it.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Oklahoma would be my choice. It has a few similarities to Texas but none of the redeeming qualities.

Can't bring myself to vote for Wyoming (having lived there) or the Dakotas (used to cover the NCC).

Draft saved Draft deleted