1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the worst state in the Union?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 22, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Done and done.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now stop whining about the feds.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi, Arkansas and Alabama are staying quiet over in the corner right now.
    I'm not a fan of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia is kind of cool, and I suppose there's a certain blue-collar charm to Pittsburgh, but most of the state is pretty damn depressing.
    Eastern Pennsylvania has an incredibly high amount of northern white trash. It's like a giant trailer park, if you exchanged tiny rowhomes for trailers.
    Because of their proximity to the two big cities the white trash doesn't see itself that way, which is annoying. It breeds douchebag/wanna-be/guido culture, which in turn leads to "Jersey Shore" cast members. At least southern white trash has no illusions about it and takes a perverse pride in their squalor.
    Oh, and before you Pennsylvanians make fun of other states for having fat residents, go ahead and put down the pork roll, scrapple, cheesesteak (which I'll admit are yummy), pasta, yinzes (or whatever the hell Pittsburghers eat) and then make your point. I've got an hour to kill. I'll wait.
    The roads suck. Many are potholed, lots (at least in Eastern Pennsylvania) have no lights on the off-ramps. The only thing worse than driving the 750 miles of I-80 (it may say 300-some, but anyone who's driven it can attest it's at least twice that) is driving 300 miles on the turnpike. Stuck between the soundproof walls and the cane rail divider, you feel like you're in a high-speed tunnel.
    No matter which way you go, there's very little in between Philly and Pittsburgh unless you like looking at depressing, dying coal towns tucked onto the banks of rivers. Oh, and trees. LOTS of trees. It's like Iowa, if all the corn grew to be 75 feet tall. There is no scenery whatsover because you can't see more than 20 feet off the road.
    I fucking hate Pennsylvania.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's easy to run a surplus when your state only has four people in it.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Obviously every answer has the potential to offend someone. So take it for what it is.

But I'd say I'm strongly considering Nevada, Wyoming, and Delaware for the crown.

6. Double Down

Someone make the case for Oklahoma, good or bad. One of the seven states I've never visited.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does Nevada have any redeeming qualities? It's built in the middle of the desert. It's largest city produces nothing, is built on people ruining their finances, and is foreclosure ground zero. The federal government owns almost all the land in the state and uses it as a toilet. I guess there's gold in them there hills, but not too many jobs.

EDIT: I guess a state isn't exactly built. How about we just say the state IS a fucking desert.

8. Double Down

Nevada is rife with sreious corruption too. Don't forget that.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Canada.

They keep trying to act all independent.

(OK, so far today I've got the Cheeseheads and the Canucks pissed at me)

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Historical-wise, Mississippi never has seemed to be a state that has anything positive going for it.

Size-wise, Rhode Island and Delaware are so small, sometimes I wonder why they don't get merged with a larger state (yes, I realize their historic value). Whenever I hear of Delaware, I always think of that Wayne's World scene (Imagine being magically whisked away to ... Delaware! Uh, hi, I mean ... Delaware?)

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Brothels.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Oklahoma? OK!

Draft saved Draft deleted