1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the U.S. stock market going to do on Monday?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Crap. I'm going to spend the whole day watching CNBC.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My sympathies.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone will suspend their presidential campaign over this crisis?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

GOOG and FB are slam-dunks over the next few years; fine by me if they crater today to make my buy order even rosier.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe you've followed it more closely than me recently, but I've never read anything that has given me any confidence whatsoever that it has staying power. I've thought for a long time it won't exist in five years, at least as a publicly traded company. But then again, I thought that about Facebook, too.

Ultimately, I wonder if they are like XM and Sirius - the world's not big enough for the both of them.

But, like I said, this isn't the world's most up-to-date, informed opinion.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The value in Twitter stock lies in GOOG's pending purchase of it.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess none of this is really that surprising. Analysts have been warning about an equities bubble for a long time now, particularly in China, where the government has been clumsily lurching into a more market-based economy. I kind of welcome the correction. I also imagine this plays into Janet Yellen's calculus. I'd have a hard time believing she's raise rates in this environment.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Kinda surprised you didn't quote one of Ragu's post with a "Chicken Little" meme ... You feeling OK?

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

Interesting.

Less opportunity for folks to step in and buy.

11. Note to self: Do not check 401k for a while.

vicd and doctorquant like this.
  12. YankeeFan

A 1,000+ drop in the Dow in two trading sessions is not a normal, healthy correction.

Draft saved Draft deleted