1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the toughest sport of all? Here you go, from Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Now that's nice.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

A) They only ranked 60 sports, likely those most popular in the U.S., thus Aussie Rules football likely wasn't even on their radar.
    B) a 2.25 in endurance for curling? most of them have obviously never been a lead or second sweeper. arms want to fall off after about 5 ends. It is a lot more difficult than golf, or archery.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I boxed and worked with fighters for many years. As difficult as it is physically, it's just as hard mentally. The actual fighting is only part of it, the training is extremely arduous too. Some of the best fights I've seen have been in the gym. And the danger factor is very high.

Next to boxing wrestling was the most difficult thing I've done. I was totally wiped out.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think it's important to look at the criteria they used:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong

STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.

POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.

SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.

AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.

FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.

NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.

DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.

HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.

ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not just a question of what's the most physical demanding sport;otherwise Australian Rules Football would be right up there. It's not about brute strength.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Tennis is 7th? Ahead of rugby?

My ass.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm about to be laughed out of SportsJournalists.com, but I think field hockey should be in the top 10.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

And lacrosse at only No. 14? Bollocks. As tough as field lacrosse is, box lacrosse is even tougher. It deserves two more points in the durability category alone to bring it in line with hockey and place it ahead of basketball.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Where's rollerball?

Draft saved Draft deleted