1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the stupidist thing anyone's ever said to you? (Non-work version)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Dec 18, 2010.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

On a blind date, watching Apollo 13 at the theater.

"Do you not like the movie," she asked in a whisper.

"Yes, it's pretty good," I said.

"Sorry, I'm just so into this," she said. "I'm so nervous. Do you think they're going to make it?"

I overlooked it for nearly a year because she was so hot.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

“You’re wrong. I don’t know what you said, but you’re wrong.” - Alabama Rep. Duwayne Bridges debating a bill to allow beer to have a higher alcohol content.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

When I took my first ice skating lessons at age 7 or so, we had to go to the far end of the rink, holding onto the boards along the way.

The teacher said, "Be careful. It's slippery."

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My father likes to remind me of something I said. The original topic of discussion has long since been forgotten.
    My father and I got into a heated discussion/debate/argument over dinner during my teen years. It was a very regular dinner-table activity at the time.
    Neither of us recalls the topic, but my father, as was his wont, said something ridiculous to bait me and said it with a completely straight face.
    And in complete teen earnestness I yelled: 'That's the greatest exaggeration anyone's every heard!'
    I was not trying to be funny.

He still teasees me about it some 24-25 years later.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the one everyone in my family tells about me at five years old.

My dad asked me if I went No. 1 or No. 2 as I walked out of a bathroom stall.

"There's no numbers on the door," I said.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

In sixth grade, or thereabouts, I was not paying attention at all in history class, and the teacher was way off topic. He called on me and asked me, "SCS, if I told you that millions died in southeast Asia because of Pol Pot, what does that mean to you?" I was completely clueless as to who Pol Pot was, and the best I could come up with was "Um, they killed themselves through substance abuse?" Probably the dumbest thing I've ever said. I also have read a couple books on Pol Pot and Cambodia as penance.

An instance involving someone *else* being thick was after one of Biden's silly gaffes.

Coworker: Why is he vice president anyway? He's a gaffe a minute.
    Me (trying to be funny): Because they needed all those electoral votes from Delaware.
    Coworker: Oh, that's right. I forgot about that.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

When I was in college, I got money from Social Security because my dad died when I was young.

I had to go to the bank one day to deposit a check and the teller was a girl I went to high school with.She looked at the check and asked about it, and I told her how I came about getting it.

"Gosh," she said. "You're lucky."

"I don't know," I said. "If your dad dies, you can have the same kind of luck." And I left.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus. That's not stupid. That's just mean as shit.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Wow. Talk about an egocentric worldview. She sounds like an terrible person.

Draft saved Draft deleted