1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the stupidist thing anyone's ever said to you? (Non-work version)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Dec 18, 2010.

1. lono

lono Active Member

This didn't happen to me, but I'm reminded of the time that at the Kentucky Derby, a reporter assigned to his first derby asked one of the horse-racing vets, "What color is a gelding?"

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Had a college student follow me on the sidelines at a high school football game, seeing if she was stringer material. At one point we were standing close to a running back waiting to go in. I saw her eyes go to his feet, which were heavily taped like most players do.

"Wow, he's playing with two broken ankles!"

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I knew a girl in college, who, while we were hanging out with a group of friends, thought that Canada was part of upstate New York.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

5. At my last paper we handed out little sheets to fill out for high school seniors. One question asked what their plans were for after graduation. One kid paused, looked up at me and asked:

"How do you spell college?"

6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

While job hunting a couple of years ago, my mother-in-law sent me a link to apply for a head coaching job at a D-I school.

She thought that since I had a reasonable amount of success as a high school hoops coach, I'd be a shoo-in to get a head coaching position for a D-I VOLLEYBALL team.

She also told me she knew someone over there and would be happy to put in a good word for me.

This is the same woman who can tell you the name of all eight of Jon and Kate's brood but couldn't tell you the name of her congressman.

Oh, the stories I could tell.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

"I've never been off the island, and I'm proud of that."

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't know why this popped into my head, I'm sure there's been stupider... But a woman once told me she shaved her 18-month-old daughter's head "so the hair would grow back thicker."

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"I'm a Cubs fan."

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That theoretically should end the thread, Cap.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Shining Moment of Idiocy No. 1: When I was a counselor at a Jewish summer camp in the early 80s. I wore my HS letterman's jacket with the winged ball pin -- emblematic of water polo.

A camper -- who was going into her freshman year of high school, mind you -- asked me what that was. I told her I lettered in water polo, whereupon she asked me with a totally straight face. "How do you get the horses into the pool?"

Yes, an old joke. But she wasn't kidding.

Shining Moment of Idiocy No. 2, a.k.a. a corollary of KJIM's: When I was exiled at a small paper in a shithole undesirable city in eastern New Mexico, I was sending out resume and clip packages on a weekly basis. After seeing a particularly choice opening, I went to the post office to overnight a package.

When I asked if this was truly going out overnight, the overpaid drone clerk told me that no, they couldn't guarantee it would get there tomorrow and it may get there in 2-3 days, despite me paying for overnight service. So I asked him if I took the 2-3-day service if it would get there in 2-3 days. Alas, no. It might not get there for 4 days.

Truly mind-boggling. When I asked why I was paying for overnight service when it wasn't getting there overnight, I was told by overpaid mindless drone said clerk that I could send it out for 2-3-day delivery. Naturally, I asked why I would do this if it wasn't guaranteed to be delivered in 2-3 days.

Said drone had no response. I, meanwhile, rolled the dice on 2-3-day delivery and determined that I needed to get out of this ignorance-loving shithole farming town posthaste.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

OK, bless her, she was just trying to make small talk, but a nurse waking me up at 2 a.m. for meds when I was in the hospital in sixth grade asked my groggy ass: "You like Jerry Lewis?"

Also,

"Is that for here or to go?" (at a drive-through window)

Draft saved Draft deleted