1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the story behind the song?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Great thread, and a great song. That one always makes me think of my Old Man.

I'll have to give this some thought for some other entries, but to Huggy's point, I also like the stories around the creative process. One that comes to mind is 'Pour Some Sugar On Me'. They were pretty much wrapping up Hysteria and Joe Elliott is fiddling with a riff, Mutt Lange hears it and goes along the lines of ' well that sounds pretty interesting', and almost accidentally a rock anthem is born.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's a "rock anthem"? :(

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, stripper anthem at least.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Helluva song, boys. I'll leave it at that and offer no apologies.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When he was interviewed by Playboy in 1980 John Lennon discussed every Beatles song and gave some cool little insights into how songs came to be, what he might have contributed to one of Paul's songs and vice versa. That segment ran in the April 1981 issue but I can't seem to find a link.

Another cool one: how Zeppelin's "Rock And Roll" grew out of John Bonham goofing around with the drum intro to Little Richard's "Keep A Knockin'".

Draft saved Draft deleted