1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the right (expletive) way to do this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

This is something that you see fairly often and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. I think any time someone uses profanity, you should just replace the word with (expletive) as I did in the thread title. I feel like I've seen places do (stuff) for presumably shit or (butt) for presumably ass and a number of other euphemisms.

What do you think?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"I (expletive) in the milk of their win," Coach Johnson said after Boogaloo Tech held his team scoring during the final 16:52 of the second half of last night's championship basketball game.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Some tight-(expletive) places don't like that approach, because it "encourages" readers to guess at what the offending word was.

Maybe there should be different profanity policies for print and Web versions of stories, since only mature adults read the print offering anymore.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Thanks, Papa.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Me, personally, believe (expletive) is the way to go. Alas, some places I've seen have done stuff like "a------" "bull----" "f---" and so forth.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

just say the fucking word in the paper

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I like the way Moddy does it.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I believe Steve Rushin called that "Obscene Hangman."

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

We don't have a specific policy in our shop that I'm aware of, but I believe we do it this way as well. It's one of those things where it's like, "OK, that's the word, keep moving through the story."

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

De nada, though the correct word should've been *scoreless* ... I (expletive) in the milk of my typo.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Most places use expletive, our place does, too. But a lot of times, it might make the quote seem even more offensive than it actually is.

To some people, "It was a goddamn foul" is a lot less offensive than "it was a fucking foul."

Draft saved Draft deleted