1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the play?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 18, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Might be an interesting thread on a day like today - and others.

Figure North Carolina might have it the roughest choosing between Junior and Simpson winning the Open.

Outside of that area and South Florida what do you do?

Lead with the Open, NBA secondary, Junior on the front (size depending on local NASCAR interest)? and perhaps one or two other local stories? The CWS?

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I'm sure NC will have Junior with NBA highlighter and golf at bottom of front.

Everywhere else should have NBA with golf highlighted and Junior put somewhere. Outside of big NASCAR areas, Junior really isn't must front page. If there is room, go for it due to the headline likely drawing eyes easily. Otherwise, let basketball and U.S. Open dominate.

In San Diego the lead should be LT though.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Only one decided a championship.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Simpson went to high school in Raleigh, so the big picture on A1 of the News & Observer is Simpson. The Charlotte Observer's big A1 picture, however, is Earnhardt.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I love the bold part, as if there's some blanket philosophy that should apply to every single paper in the country, no matter where they are, what their readers' interests are and what else may be going on in their back yard.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I didn't work last night and haven't seen today's paper yet, but I would be shocked if golf wasn't the centerpiece, followed by MLB then NBA with some refer to NASCAR.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

But what do people want to read?

In North Carolina, they want to read about Junior.

Our local 30K in upstate New York, Junior one column upper right, Simpson photo, story, scorebox, U.S. Open column.

NBA stripped across six columns at the bottom, photo, story and scores/schedule.

Teaser box included seven lines on Stony Book being eliminated.

No local, the paper has been hit hard by cuts.

Open MLB page inside.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Right.

But Dale ending a four-year win drought was pretty big, and NASCAR is pretty big around these parts. And with the race coming to NKY here in two weeks, it got a bit bigger on our scale.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

It's called generalization.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pioneer League baseball season starts tonight and the hometown nine is at home, so that's a big deal on a slow day.

If you are referring to Sunday night for Monday AM, US Open almost HAS to be main unless you have something else local of huge importance. We still have at least two more NBA games.

I understand this is a regional bias thing, but many places where I worked NASCAR (unless it's Daytona or someone getting killed) and college baseball rarely crack the section front.

11. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Junior was our CP, with golf stripped and NBA down the side.
    What you West Coasters aren't factoring in is deadlines. Junior was over early. Golf and basketball were both deadline situations for us because of our ridiculously early deadlines.
    NASCAR is pretty big with a lot of our readers.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just curious? If the car race had been won by someone else, would that have changed your decision.

For example, I'm centerpiecing US Open regardless of who wins, or even if they go to a Monday playoff. Some other tournament? It depends. A Tiger Woods win at Bay Hill is bigger than Hunter Mahan's win the following week in Houston.

I remember in 2008 (my last day at said paper before layoffs), I had the US Open going to a playoff and the Lakers beating Boston to stay alive in the NBA Finals. I had to wait out each. I went with a duel lead/top and the headline "NOT OVER YET". Honestly, it's stuff like that that was about the only thing I miss from my copy desk days.

Draft saved Draft deleted