1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the most you've ever worked in one day/week ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, May 7, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1994 Winter Olympics, Nancy and Tonya. My room was in the alpine skiing center area two hour bus ride (two buses) from figure skating venue (Norwegians HATE figure skating, another reason it's a great country.) plus 12 hour workdays on offdays plus cover regular Olympic events, well, it averaged out that I worked and/or commuted.18 hours a day for 23 days straight.
    Didn't mind. Front page every day. Biggest story in the world at that point. Then the managing editor changed my lede "Nancy beat Sluggo" to an 84 (count 'em) first sentence. That I minded. Showing he wasn't a complete idiot, I was not disciplined for my transoceanic threats of massive violence. Got one day off on return and was shipped to four more weeks of out-of-town duty.

2. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

15 hours....at a one-man shop where i was the one man.

bad, bad memories, folks.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

remember a lot of football-preview Augusts that were 20 consecutive double-digit hour days.

In my current gig, the week before and the week of our trade show can easily run 100 hours each.

4. times38

times38 Member

most in a day was 17. can't even remember what I did that day, but I know it involved some sort of community meeting and a couple of sporting events.

most in a week was 95. I was putting out the prep football tab at my first daily paper. I actually nearly had a complete meltdown in the office toward the tail end of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted