1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the most you've ever worked in one day/week ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, May 7, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I did 14 hours on a Friday, which was my 12th consecutive day worked at the time and also the day of our Christmas staff party.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I once worked 63 consecutive days (I'm counting writing, phone calls and event coverage that lasts at least five hours as work, even if I wasn't in the office). Most in a day was 19 hours (9 a.m. to 4 a.m., back in at 9:30).

This was in my first job as SE at a weekly chain. Haven't come close to approaching that since, thank God.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Pulled a few all-nighters on special sections when I was in my 30s. I had in my mind that I wanted to finish a day ahead of schedule just in case there were any technical glitches. Then I realized we could just build that safety net into the schedule without me staying up all night.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

7 a.m. till 2 a.m.

98 in a week

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I worked 17 hours yesterday. I took 20 minutes to dominate a sandwich and tiny bowl of mac and cheese. In that 20 minutes, I was reading notes I had for a story I was working on.

The great thing - and schiz will attest - is that sometimes we work 40 hours in three days, then we get four days off - if there isn't a must-see game on the weekend.

Football season is a different story though.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I worked 16 days in a row one time -- 11 hour days, but it wasn't all in one week.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

102 in a week.
    15-16 in a day.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

103 hours in a week in 1986. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't kept track.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's easier for you because the air is thinner is there is less humidity.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I was salary, so management fucked me, but when the SE of our small daily quit, I was stuck working every day for two months. I figured hey, I'd do a good job, work my ass off, and be named the new SE. Tons of 10-12 hour shifts, but like I said, I figured they had to hire me.
    Of course they didn't hire me, and then told me all my hard work was simply what was required and gave the company line about what a good soldier I was.
    Fuckin bastards.
    Glad to hear that place is in the toilet

11. Keith Parsons

Keith Parsons New Member

Yes, this will be incredibly indulgent, but forgive me, I'm no longer in the business.

When I was with the AP in Atlanta, I had a day-broadcast shift that ran from 5 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. (basically rewriting the newspaper wire for radio and TV stations). Just as I was heading out, got a call from the Atlanta Thrashers that they'd fired their coach, Curt Fraser. News conference was scheduled at like 2 p.m., so I staffed that out in the suburbs.

Once that was finished (breaking story, optional, PMer), the Atlanta Hawks fired Lon Kruger. This was dragged out all evening, with the news conference at 9 p.m. back downtown at Philips Arena, which I staffed. At the time, both teams were owned by Time Warner, so I did a separate story on the fact that the same company fired two coaches in the same day. Which, I forgot to mention, was Dec. 26 (2002).

Finally wrapped up those stories around 2 a.m.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's what you get for giving Newberry the day off!

Draft saved Draft deleted