1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the good word on Tempur-Pedic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daveevansedge, Sep 21, 2006.

1. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

OK, the current pillow top king mattress has 10 years on it, and it's pretty much had it. The wife and I are hoping to get a new one at tax time. I've seen all the late-night Tempur-Pedic infomercials, etc., and wanted to get some opinions as to how those mattresses really are.

Also, those commercials -- and even the Web site -- never seem to mention the price at all. Are these mattresses just outrageously priced? And even if they are, does the quality make it worth that price?

Does anybody have other mattress suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

2. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

my parents have one, and it's pretty freakin' comfortable. no idea what it cost.

and i'm sure someone will also come on here and recommend the Westin hotel bed (is the "dream bed" or something?)....

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually looked into getting the Westin bed and it's insanely expensive...

I think insurance will cover a portion of the tempur-pedic beds if someone has back problems...

And if you don't have back problems, I'm sure there are a ton of chiropractors out there who will tell you that you do...

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have you considered getting a new wife instead?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

;)

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I know a couple who just got one of the Sleep Number beds and said it's the best thing to happen to their marriage. She likes soft beds; he likes to sleep on something equivalent to concrete. They have a ton of commercials too, but the Web site is selectcomfort.com.

Note: I did have to google that, so nobody say "Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Select Comfort CEO!"

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The Westin beds are awesome, no doubt. But the new beds in the Marriotts are pretty fucking good too.

Best sleep I've ever had.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

I tested a tempurpedic while shopping for a new mattress a couple of weeks ago. It was by far the most comfortable bed in the store; also the most expensive at $3995.00 (sale price). The tp pillow was an additional $150. I was tempted to splurge but resisted and opted for a traditional Simmons ($900, half price sale). Out of curiousity, I did some subsequent research on the tp beds and learned that there's lots of complaints that the foam gets uncomfortably hot in warm weather, hardens in cold weather, and is prone to break down under heavier bodies. Lots of negative reports on tp beds available via Google. I was glad I opted against it, though it did feel wonderful at the store.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One quick fix if you liked the pillow top mattress – depending on it's state of decompisition – would be to buy a feather bed. Goes on like a sheet (but obviously under the sheet), down filled, encredibly comfortable, and depending on the brand and quality can run you anywhere between about $70 and probably $200. But well worth it. I would even get one for a new mattress, increases comfort factor 10 fold.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I tried the Tempur Pedic pillow and felt like my head was in quick sand. Woke up everytime I turned. Some people love it, though.

Somebody recommended Sleep Numbers to me as well.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have one (TP) and love it. It's done wonders for my back and for my quality of sleep.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I am in a Marriott in LA right now, mattress sucks.
    (This is the hotel in which Christopher Walken did the Fatboy Slim video, and this place has not been upgraded since.)

Draft saved Draft deleted