1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Gitmo Scoop?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, May 30, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm just wondering what's up these days with the Gitmo detainees. It's been some number of months since I paid them much attention, but I see that an inmate committed suicide. I believe I've also read that a few have been released. How many people are still being held? And have they been charged with a crime yet? Is it all tied up in the legal world? It seems to be an ongoing mess.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

3. HeinekenMan

Actually, I read that, which is what generated my inquiry. I'm looking for a broader idea of what the hell is going on there. At this point, I'd think most of the prisoners expect to spend the remainder of their lives at Gitmo.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Carol Rosenberg is the Miami Herald's Gitmo reporter, one of the few who specializes in that beat in existance. Check the Herald archives at miami.com

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They'll be there until early 2009, at which point some sane administration likely will close the prison. Even McCain has promised to do that.

6. HeinekenMan

I'm actually a bit surprised that McCain has promised to close it. It just shows how far removed from reality the Bush Administration has become.

Of course, I'm not sure what happens if the place closes. But almost anything would be better than the current situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted